Dynamics in Motion: Solving Problems with Acceleration and Velocity Equations

• Thread starter aatari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve for the speed of a puck in a pond hockey game. The speaker is having trouble understanding when to use different equations and is seeking help. The expert explains that there are three different segments to the motion and to find the cruising speed, they must analyze the first segment which involves constant acceleration. The given 4.0 seconds is the time that the puck was moving at constant speed and is not relevant for finding the cruising speed. The expert advises the speaker to solve more problems to improve their understanding of different types of motion.
aatari

Homework Statement

Problem: [/B]During a pond hockey game, a puck accelerates from rest at 5.0 m/s 2over a distance of 80.0 cm. The puck then slides with a constant speed for 4.0 s until it reaches a rough section which causes it to stop in 2.5 s.

a. What is the speed of the object when it reaches the rough section?

Homework Equations

[/B]
a = (v2v1) / Δt..... (1)
Δd = v1Δt + ½aΔt2 ...(2)
Δd = (v22 v12) / 2a... (3)
v
2 = v1 + aΔt...... (4)
v22 = v12 + 2aΔd... (5)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, I know how to solve this question but I am having trouble understanding when to use which equation. And I am hoping one you can help me understand when to use what equation.

So for the question above we are asked to find the speed of the puck, which is very easy. The way I understand, we can solve this by either using equation (4) or equation (5). Both these equations will give us the final velocity. However, if I use equation 4 my answer is 20 m/s and if I use equation 5, I get 2.8 m/s. This is a significant difference and I don't understand why this is.

How do I figure out when to use what equation in situation like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
aatari said:
The way I understand, we can solve this by either using equation (4) or equation (5).
How can you use equation (4)? You don't have the time.

Doc Al said:
How can you use equation (4)? You don't have the time.
The puck then slides with a constant speed for 4.0 s. Isn't time 4.0 s before the puck reaches the rough section?

aatari said:
The puck then slides with a constant speed for 4.0 s. Isn't time 4.0 s before the puck reaches the rough section?
That time is irrelevant for figuring out the speed.

Realize that there are two (really three!) segments to the motion, each quite different: (a) Constant acceleration as it moves from speed zero to some unknown speed; (b) Constant speed for 4 s until it hits the rough spot; (c) Constant acceleration as it slows down to rest.

To find that cruising speed, you must analyze segment (a). Equation (4) won't help you there.

Doc Al said:
That time is irrelevant for figuring out the speed.

Realize that there are two (really three!) segments to the motion, each quite different: (a) Constant acceleration as it moves from speed zero to some unknown speed; (b) Constant speed for 4 s until it hits the rough spot; (c) Constant acceleration as it slows down to rest.

To find that cruising speed, you must analyze segment (a). Equation (4) won't help you there.

Why and how is it irrelevant though? How can someone who is new to this topic in physics can figure this out?

aatari said:
Why and how is it irrelevant though?
The given 4.0 seconds is the time the puck was moving at constant speed. It's not the time it took to accelerate from zero to that speed (which is what equation 4 would require).

aatari said:
How can someone who is new to this topic in physics can figure this out?
You need to learn to recognize different types of motion: constant acceleration versus constant velocity, for one. The secret? Solve as many problems as you can! (That's how you get good.)

Likes aatari

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a hockey puck?

The velocity of a hockey puck can be calculated by dividing the change in position of the puck by the change in time. This can be represented as v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What factors affect the motion of a hockey puck?

The motion of a hockey puck is affected by multiple factors, such as the force applied to the puck, the surface it is sliding on, air resistance, and the angle at which it is struck. The mass and shape of the puck can also play a role in its motion.

3. How does friction impact the movement of a hockey puck?

Friction can have a significant impact on the movement of a hockey puck. The friction between the puck and the surface it is sliding on can slow it down, while the friction between the puck and the air can also affect its speed and trajectory.

4. Can you calculate the kinetic energy of a hockey puck?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a hockey puck can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the puck, and v is the velocity. This formula represents the energy that the puck possesses due to its motion.

5. How can you determine the direction of the force acting on a hockey puck?

The direction of the force acting on a hockey puck can be determined by observing the direction in which the puck is accelerating. This direction will be opposite to the direction of the net force acting on the puck, which can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, F = m * a.