Dynamics of Four Bar Link using Hamilton's Principle with Loop Closure

In summary, the conversation is about finding a simple solution for using Hamilton's Principle with a loop closure constraint on a four bar link with a torque motor driving the first link. The individual is unsure of how to incorporate the constraint equations into the Lagrangian or the final output, and is looking for guidance on how to do so.
Trying2Learn
Summary:: Can someone point me to an example solution?

Hello

The attached figure is a four bar link. Each of the four bars has geometry, mass, moment of inertia, etc.

A torque motor drives the first link.

I am looking for an example (a simple solution so I can ground my self before exploring more complicated situations), of using Hamilton's Principle with a loop closure constraint.

I do not even know how to begin.

Well, I can formulate the kinetic energy and potential energy of the bars. I can account for the applied non-conservative torque ( but bringing it in through Principle of Virtual work). I can do that... for a NON-closed link.

But I would prefer to do the closed loop by bringing in constraint equations. I can write the constraint equation on the position and another set on the velocities, but I have no idea how to append those constraints to the Lagrangian, or even the final output (From the calculus of variations) that leads to the Euler Lagrange equations.

Can someone start me off?

EDIT: in fact, I cannot even begin. Do I use Lagrange multipliers for the position constraint? AND the velocity constraint? Or just one of the two. I cannot even begin.

In fact, I do not even know how to state the question... this is the best I can do:

How do I append the Lagrangian (or the final Euler Lagrange equation sets) for a four bar link, when the loop is closed and I have the loop closure equations for position and velocity. Is that even stated correctly ?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde.PNG
    Skjermbilde.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have sent you a PM on this problem.

1. What is Hamilton's Principle and how does it relate to four bar link dynamics?

Hamilton's Principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics that states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action integral. In the context of four bar link dynamics, this principle can be used to derive the equations of motion for the system by considering the virtual work done by the forces and constraints.

2. What is a four bar link and how is it used in mechanical systems?

A four bar link is a type of mechanism that consists of four rigid links connected by four joints, forming a closed loop. It is commonly used in mechanical systems, such as in engines and machines, to convert rotary motion into linear motion or vice versa.

3. How does loop closure affect the dynamics of a four bar link system?

Loop closure, which refers to the condition that the sum of the displacements of all the joints in a system must be zero, plays a crucial role in the dynamics of a four bar link. It introduces constraints that must be taken into account when deriving the equations of motion using Hamilton's Principle.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the analysis of four bar link dynamics using Hamilton's Principle?

The key assumptions made in this analysis include the links being rigid bodies, the joints being frictionless and without backlash, and the system being in a plane. Additionally, small displacements are assumed, and the links are treated as massless.

5. Can Hamilton's Principle be used to analyze more complex mechanical systems beyond four bar links?

Yes, Hamilton's Principle can be applied to a wide range of mechanical systems, including those with more than four links or those with non-rigid bodies. However, the complexity of the equations of motion increases with the number of links and constraints in the system, making it more challenging to solve analytically.