Dynamics of Rigid Bodies: The Concept of Law of Gravitation

Nova_Chr0n0
Homework Statement
Find the mass of an object (in kg) that weighs 2 kN at a height of 1800 km above the earth’s surface.
Relevant Equations
Mass of earth - 5.9742 x 10^24 kg
Radius of earth = 6378 km
F=G[(m_a*m_b)/R^2]
The questions and relevant formulas/information are attached below:

1701242900601.png

1701242922499.png

1701243032043.png

I started by writing the needed values:

2 kN = 2,000 N
6378 km =6378(1000) m
1800 km = 1800(1000)m

1701244278069.png

After converting, I tried solving for the mass using the law of gravitation formula:

1701244303798.png

I decided to replace N as (kgm)/s^2:

1701244326240.png

Solving for the mass:

1701244347866.png

I wanted to verify my final answer by trying to find it in the internet. I only saw 1 solution and we got the same values up until mass B. For his mass B, he got 335.4695 N but I got 335.721 kg. The other solution will be shown below:

1701244878834.png
1701244891704.png

Am I suppose to get mass B here with N as its unit? If so, on what part did I do the algebra wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass is measured in kg. Your numerical answer looks correct, although you may think about learning some algebra!

Likes Nova_Chr0n0

1. What is the concept of the Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation is a physical law that describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the Law of Gravitation apply to rigid bodies?

The Law of Gravitation applies to rigid bodies in the sense that the force of gravity between two rigid bodies is dependent on their masses and the distance between them. This force causes the rigid bodies to move towards each other and can also cause them to rotate around a common center of mass.

3. What is the role of inertia in the dynamics of rigid bodies?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In the dynamics of rigid bodies, inertia plays a crucial role in determining how the body will respond to external forces, such as the force of gravity. The greater the inertia of a rigid body, the more difficult it is to change its state of motion.

4. How is the concept of torque related to the dynamics of rigid bodies?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes a rigid body to rotate around an axis. In the dynamics of rigid bodies, torque is an important concept as it helps us understand how external forces can cause a body to rotate. The magnitude of the torque is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. Can the Law of Gravitation be applied to objects in motion?

Yes, the Law of Gravitation can be applied to objects in motion. This law applies to all objects with mass, regardless of their state of motion. For objects in motion, the force of gravity will affect their trajectory and can cause them to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force.