Dynamics problem - spring on a slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the position of a body of mass m moving down a hill and attaching to an elastic spring with modulus of elasticity \lambda and natural length l0. The body starts from rest at the top of the hill and sticks permanently to the free end of the spring after first contact. The subsequent position x(t) is found when the spring is compressed by mgl0/{\lambda} and the tension is calculated as a function of x. The conversation also mentions using F=ma and t=\lambdaL/l0 to find an ODE, as well as setting the x-axis at x=0 and using an alternative approach to find x.
HmBe
1. An elastic spring has modulus of elasticity [tex]\lambda[/tex] and natural length l0. This spring is placed on the slope of a hill with an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horizontal such that one end of the spring is fixed at the foot of the hill and the other end can move freely along the slope. A body of mass m, starting from rest at the top of the hill, is moving down the hill (neglect friction). Knowing that the body sticks permanently to the free end of the spring after first contact, find its subsequent position x(t) for the case:

dx/dt=0 when the spring is compressed by mgl0/[tex]{\lambda}[/tex]

2. F=ma
t=[tex]\lambda[/tex]L/l0 where L is the extension

3. I set my axis so that the bottom of the hill is x=0, with x increasing along the slope. I then rewrote L as l0-x. Then I found the tension as a function of x, including a -mgsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]. I set this equal to m*d2x/dt2, and divided through by m, to get a ODE. However it is proving really tricky to solve, as I've got loads of constants and stuff I'm not quite sure what I'm meant to do with. I've tried using the initial conditions, but it just gets more and more messy.

This is my first post, sorry about the rubbish formatting. Hope this is in the right section. Let me know if I've done anything wrong. Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I tried a different approach, setting the x-axis so x=0 at l0

L (the extension) = -x

T=-[tex]\lambda[/tex]x/l0

let w2=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/l0m

d2x/dt2+w2x=-gsin[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Working through this I get x=g((sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-1)coswt-sin[tex]\alpha[/tex])/w2

Can anyone confirm this..?

1. What is a dynamics problem involving a spring on a slope?

A dynamics problem involving a spring on a slope is a physics problem that involves the study of the motion of a spring attached to an inclined plane. It takes into account various factors such as the slope angle, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the spring constant to determine the motion of the system.

2. How do you set up a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope?

To set up a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope, you will need to draw a free body diagram of the system, taking into account the forces acting on the object attached to the spring. These forces include the weight of the object, the normal force from the slope, and the force from the spring. You will also need to consider the direction and magnitude of these forces.

3. What equations are used to solve a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope?

The equations used to solve a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope include Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), Hooke's law (F=-kx), and the equation for gravitational force (F=mg). These equations can be used to determine the acceleration, displacement, and velocity of the object attached to the spring on the slope.

4. How does the slope angle affect the dynamics of a spring on a slope?

The slope angle affects the dynamics of a spring on a slope by changing the forces acting on the object. A steeper slope will result in a larger component of the weight of the object acting down the slope, while a shallower slope will result in a smaller component. This can affect the acceleration and displacement of the object, as well as the tension in the spring.

5. Can you use conservation of energy to solve a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope?

Yes, conservation of energy can be used to solve a dynamics problem with a spring on a slope. This involves considering the potential energy of the system at different points on the slope, as well as the kinetic energy of the object at different points. By equating the initial and final energies, you can solve for the unknown variables such as the final velocity or displacement of the object.