Dynamics...Rigid body angular acceleration

In summary, the bar is released from rest so the sum of the forces should equal 0 but NOT the moments. The bar will accelerate as it begins to fall so the sum of the forces cannot be zero. The sum of forces in the tangent direction also = 0 because their is no acceleration in that direction.
brk51

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 10.54.37 PM.png

The 25-lb slender rod has a length of 6 ft. Using a collar of negligible mass, its end A is confined to move along the smooth circular bar of radius 32√ ft. End B rests on the floor, for which the coefficient of kinetic friction is μB = 0.24. The bar is released from rest when θ = 30∘.

Homework Equations

lots of em

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to do this in normal-tangential coordinates b/c it seemed easier but I'm getting the wrong answer.. here is my work .
IMG_9972 (1).jpg

Let me know if any of my logic here is wrong.
---The bar is released from rest so the sum of the forces should equal 0 but NOT the moments.
----The sum of forces in the tangent direction also = 0 because their is no acceleration in that direction b/c the object is constrained to moving in a circle
---I'm summing the moments about point G, the center of mass for the rod, thus the the equation becomes
Sum of (M_G) = (I_G)* Alpha
--- Normal Force at A crosses point G so no moment there. Same goes for weight.
--- thus only the frictional force and the normal force's tangent components are present in the moment equation..

Please help a guy out! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
brk51 said:
The bar is released from rest so the sum of the forces should equal 0 but NOT the moments.
The bar will accelerate as it begins to fall so the sum of the forces cannot be zero.
brk51 said:
The sum of forces in the tangent direction also = 0 because their is no acceleration in that direction
There is acceleration in that direction.

Try and work with the equation relating torque and angular acceleration with the pivot point at the END of the rod, not its center of mass.

So when is there never tangential acceleration hypothetically.

And if i was to take the moments about the end of the rod. It would have to equal the kinetic moments of the rod..(Ma_t + Ma_n) ?

brk51 said:
So when is there never tangential acceleration hypothetically.

And if i was to take the moments about the end of the rod. It would have to equal the kinetic moments of the rod..(Ma_t + Ma_n) ?
+ I_end * alpha

The first thing you should do is figure out what the x motion of the end of the rod is against the floor as a function of ##\theta##. This can be a little tricky, but it can be done with right triangle trigonometry. Next, work out the force of friction on the end of the rod as a function of ##\alpha##, this force must also appear at the junction of the rod and rail since the rail is what is pushing the rod against the floor. This force can be cast as a torque applied at the end of the rod apposing the torque applied by gravity. Once you have these torques, it is a simple matter to find the angular acceleration.

brk51 said:
No, this would involve the parallel axis theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem

NFuller said:
The first thing you should do is figure out what the x motion of the end of the rod is against the floor as a function of ##\theta##. This can be a little tricky, but it can be done with right triangle trigonometry. Next, work out the force of friction on the end of the rod as a function of ##\alpha##, this force must also appear at the junction of the rod and rail since the rail is what is pushing the rod against the floor. This force can be cast as a torque applied at the end of the rod apposing the torque applied by gravity. Once you have these torques, it is a simple matter to find the angular acceleration.No, this would involve the parallel axis theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem

Im so confused...
Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.25.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.24.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.24.46 PM.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 503
brk51 said:
Im so confused...View attachment 206633
In the first image I have drawn the force-couple equivalency. Basically, the sum of forces equals the mass * acceleration of center of mass vector and the sum of torques equals the moment of inertia with respect to G * angular acceleration couple PLUS the torque produced by the mass * acceleration vector.

In the second image I have drawn the kinematics diagram. It basically states the acceleration of the center of mass (aX, aY). This acceleration is equal to the acceleration of B plus the acceleration of G relative to B. Similarly, the acceleration of B is equal to the acceleration of A plus the acceleration of B relative to A.
The acceleration of A can be found as a function of phi dot dot (angular acceleration of phi) and phi dot dot can be found as a function of alpha (angular acceleration of the rod) by using trig.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 644
  • 2.png
    2.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 693

1. What is rigid body angular acceleration?

Rigid body angular acceleration is the rate at which a rigid body changes its angular velocity. It is a measure of how quickly the body's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is rigid body angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Rigid body angular acceleration is a measure of rotational motion, while linear acceleration is a measure of translational motion. Angular acceleration refers to the change in the body's angular velocity, while linear acceleration refers to the change in its linear velocity.

3. What factors affect rigid body angular acceleration?

Rigid body angular acceleration is affected by the body's moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the body's distribution of mass. A larger moment of inertia or a larger applied torque will result in a greater angular acceleration, while a more spread out mass distribution will result in a smaller angular acceleration.

4. How is rigid body angular acceleration calculated?

Rigid body angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the applied torque, and I is the moment of inertia of the body. This equation is derived from Newton's second law for rotational motion, which states that the net torque on an object is equal to its moment of inertia times its angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of rigid body angular acceleration?

Rigid body angular acceleration can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a spinning top, a rotating wheel, or a swinging pendulum. It is also a crucial concept in the design and functioning of machines, such as car engines or wind turbines. In sports, it is important in activities like gymnastics, figure skating, and diving.