Dyson's Formula from Tong's lecture notes

In summary, David Tong's lecture notes on quantum field theory are difficult to follow. He introduces an operator U(t, t_0) = T \exp(-i\int_{t_0}^{t}H_I(t') dt') and goes on to expand U(t,t_0). However, he introduces the time-ordering symbol in front of the exponential function, which confuses the reader. He also introduces limits that are not explained and integrates both integrals to the front. It is difficult to follow the expansion of U(t,t_0) without a reference guide.
noir1993
I am studying quantum field theory from [David Tong's lecture notes][1] and I am stuck at a particular place.

In Page 52., under the heading *3.1.1 Dyson's Formula*, Tong introduces an unitary operator
[tex]U(t, t_0) = T \exp(-i\int_{t_0}^{t}H_I(t') dt')[/tex]

He then introduces the usual definition of time ordered products and goes on to expand [tex]U(t,t_0)[/tex]. I am not able to follow how he expanded the time ordered product of operators in the second-order term of the Taylor expansion of the exponential. In particular, I am unable to follow the limits being used and why both integrals are being put in the front. Should we not get product of two integrals involving HI?

The expansion of U(t,t_0) is given by

[tex]1 - i\int_{t_0}^{t}dt'H_I(t') + \frac{-i^2}{2}[\int_{t_0}^{t}dt'\int_{t'}^{t}dt''H_I(t'')H_I(t')+\int_{t_0}^{t}dt'\int_{t_0}^{t'}dt''H_I(t')H_I(t'')]+... [/tex]

Link to Course Page - [David Tong: Lectures on Quantum Field Theory][2] [1]: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf
[2]: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't like the integration measures being in the front, you can use

##\int_{t_0}^{t}dt'\int_{t'}^{t}dt''H_I(t'')H_I(t') = \int_{t_0}^{t}\left(\int_{t'}^{t}H_I(t'')H_I(t')dt''\right)dt'##

The first (inner) integration converts ##H_I(t'')H_I(t')## to a function of ##t'## and ##t## only, and then the outer integration is over ##t'##.

I personally find these calculations unpleasant too.

Likes noir1993
hilbert2 said:
If you don't like the integration measures being in the front, you can use

##\int_{t_0}^{t}dt'\int_{t'}^{t}dt''H_I(t'')H_I(t') = \int_{t_0}^{t}\left(\int_{t'}^{t}H_I(t'')H_I(t')dt''\right)dt'##

The first (inner) integration converts ##H_I(t'')H_I(t')## to a function of ##t'## and ##t## only, and then the outer integration is over ##t'##.

I personally find these calculations unpleasant too.

It's not about the calculations. :D
It seems I just got confused by the notation. It makes sense now.

Hi! :smile:

Everytime I look at this I realize I have forgotten it.

How do you write up Tong's expansion so that it becomes clear?

$$T[\text{exp}(-i \int_{t_0}^t H_I(t')dt'] = T[1 + (-i) \int_{t_0}^t H_I(t')dt' + \frac{(-i)^2}{2!} \int_{t_0}^t dt'' \int_{t_0}^t dt' H_I(t')H_I(t'') + \dots]
= 1 + (-i) \int_{t_0}^t H_I(t')dt' + \frac{(-i)^2}{2!} T [\int_{t_0}^t dt'' \int_{t_0}^t dt' H_I(t')H_I(t'')] + \dots$$
?

Putting the differentials ##dt''##, etc.. in front of the integrand is done just because it allows putting the integration "operator" ##\int_{a}^{b}dt''## in front of a function of ##t''## just like you can put a differential operator ##\hat{p}_x = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}## in front of a wave function ##\psi (x)##. The only difference is that while ##\hat{p}_x## converts a function of ##x## to another function of ##x##, the integral operator formally results in a function of a new variable.

The physicists' notation of integrals is very much more clever than the mathematians' who write the integration measure at the very end. I don't know of a better example than precisely the Dyson series.

The time-ordering is derived with some more steps in my QFT lecture notes (Sect. 1.3, p16ff):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Likes noir1993
With reference to comments made by @hilbert2 and @vanhees71, I have a question: If we treat the integration as operators then should not the time ordering now contain four operators instead of just two? Or am I missing something?

What do you mean by "four operators instead of just two"? The time-ordering symbol works at any product of an arbitrary number of field operators. It tells you to write the product such that the time arguments are increasing from the right- to the left-most operator. If the fields are fermionic it also includes the corresponding sign of the permutation needd to bring the operators to that order.

vanhees71 said:
The time-ordering is derived with some more steps in my QFT lecture notes (Sect. 1.3, p16ff):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

It is sheer modesty to call this a set of lecture notes. It's basically a book. I have come across your notes before and have a copy saved in my reference manager. I decided to go through it after mastering the basics. In any case, I would like to thank you for making them available!

It's far from being a book! I'm most thankful if you find typos! ;-)

vanhees71 said:
What do you mean by "four operators instead of just two"? The time-ordering symbol works at any product of an arbitrary number of field operators. It tells you to write the product such that the time arguments are increasing from the right- to the left-most operator. If the fields are fermionic it also includes the corresponding sign of the permutation needd to bring the operators to that order.

I was talking with respect to the second order term again. I was under the impression that the operatiors being time ordered are the Hamiltonians H_I at different t's. But are we considering all the integrals ∫dt as operators also?

##\int \mathrm{d} t f(t)## just tells you to do the integral.

Likes noir1993
vanhees71 said:
##\int \mathrm{d} t f(t)## just tells you to do the integral.
I know that we can consider differentials and integrals as operators in the mathematical sense (as done in say, linear algebra or operator theory, i.e any transformation) but here I feel when we talk about time ordering of 'operators', we are talking about observables or rather "operators as understood in quantum theory".

Something like ##H(t')H(t'')## is an operator valued function of ##t'## and ##t''##, where "operator" specifically means something that can act on a quantum state.

hilbert2 said:
Something like ##H(t')H(t'')## is an operator valued function of ##t'## and ##t''##, where "operator" specifically means something that can act on a quantum state.

So this expression has four time ordered operators?
hilbert2 said:

I don't think the integrations are same kind of operators as the ##H_I##:s, as you can apply the integration on any function while the Hamiltonians only affect quantum states.

I similar ambiguous situation is how an ##N\times N## matrix can be seen either as a vector of dimension ##N^2## or an operator that acts from the left on any vector or matrix that has ##N## rows.

hilbert2 said:
I don't think the integrations are same kind of operators as the ##H_I##:s, as you can apply the integration on any function while the Hamiltonians only affect quantum states.

A similar ambiguous situation is how an ##N\times N## matrix can be seen either as a vector of dimension ##N^2## or an operator that acts from the left on any vector or matrix that has ##N## rows.

Hence I posted a comment earlier stating this is in a different manner. I hope you can appreciate the reason behind my confusion. :)

noir1993 said:
So this expression has four time ordered operators?
I'm really puzzled, what you are talking about. There are only two operators in the expression, ##\hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}(t')##. These you integrate
$$\hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \int_{t'}^t \mathrm{d} t'' \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t'). \qquad (1)$$
This is, of course another time-dependent operator.

The integral is obviously over a triangle in the ##t'##-##t''## plane, which is a bit inconvenient. The trick is to rewrite the integral such to integrate over ##t'## first:
$$\hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^{t} \mathrm{d} t'' \int_{t_0}^{t''} \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t').$$
Now we exchange the names of the integration variables, i.e., ##t' \leftrightarrow t''##:
$$\hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \int_{t_0}^{t'} \mathrm{d} t'' \hat{H}_I(t') \hat{H}_I(t''). \qquad (2)$$
Now we see that we could simply add this to (1), if the Hamiltonians at different times would commute, but in general they don't. However, we can write in both integrals a time-ordering symbol in front, because in both integrals the Hamiltonians are in time ordered form, i.e., the right-most operator has the smaller time argument. Since ##\hat{H}_I## must always be of bosonic nature (i.e., in the case of fermion fields there must be always an even number of field operators to build the Hamiltonian density) you can simply exchange the Hamiltonians as you like under the time-ordering operator, thus you can write for both integrands ##\mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t')## and then simply add the equations (1) and (2). Then you integrate over the entire square in the ##t'##-##t''## plane, and the integral looks a bit simpler:
$$2 \hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t'' \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t').$$
By induction you can show that this works also for the higher orders in the Dyson series (with an ##n!## on the left-hand side if you have ##n## factors ##\hat{H}_I## in the expression).

vanhees71 said:
I'm really puzzled, what you are talking about. There are only two operators in the expression, ##\hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}(t')##. These you integrate
$$\hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \int_{t'}^t \mathrm{d} t'' \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t'). \qquad (1)$$
This is, of course another time-dependent operator.

Then you integrate over the entire square in the ##t'##-##t''## plane, and the integral looks a bit simpler:
$$2 \hat{O}(t)=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t'' \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t'') \hat{H}_I(t').$$
By induction you can show that this works also for the higher orders in the Dyson series (with an ##n!## on the left-hand side if you have ##n## factors ##\hat{H}_I## in the expression).
Thank you for this illuminating reply. It cleared every doubt that I had. I apologize for not being able to catch it early on from your comments and forced you to spell everything out! But I am very grateful for the answer!

And the digression about the "four operators" came from this comment where @hilbert2 called ##\int_{a}^{b}dt''## the integration "operator. It is not relevant to the main discussion at hand.
hilbert2 said:
Putting the differentials ##dt''##, etc.. in front of the integrand is done just because it allows putting the integration "operator" ##\int_{a}^{b}dt''## in front of a function of ##t''## just like you can put a differential operator ##\hat{p}_x = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}## in front of a wave function ##\psi (x)##. The only difference is that while ##\hat{p}_x## converts a function of ##x## to another function of ##x##, the integral operator formally results in a function of a new variable.

1. What is Dyson's Formula from Tong's lecture notes?

Dyson's Formula is a mathematical equation developed by physicist Freeman Dyson in the 1940s. It is used to calculate the energy levels of a quantum mechanical system.

2. How does Dyson's Formula work?

Dyson's Formula uses a combination of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to calculate the energy levels of a system. The formula takes into account the possible states and energy levels of the system, as well as the probability of each state occurring.

3. What is the significance of Dyson's Formula?

Dyson's Formula has been used in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It has helped scientists understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.

4. Are there any limitations to Dyson's Formula?

While Dyson's Formula has been used successfully in many cases, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate for systems with a large number of particles and at high temperatures. It also does not take into account interactions between particles, so it may not be accurate for systems with strong interactions.

5. Can Dyson's Formula be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Dyson's Formula has been used to study and understand many real-world systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It has also been applied in various technological advancements, such as the development of transistors and lasers.