E=mc^2 vs energy in strong interaction

In summary, the energy of a system is not always equal to the energy you get when you convert mass to energy.
Leonardo Ochoa
Hi everyone,

I have a simple and foolish question.

I want to compare the energy of a given mass (obviously e=mc2); let's say the energy of a hydrogen atom, with the energy that binds together the fundamental particles of that atom (strong interaction). I know that e=mc2 holds always true, and that the energy in strong interaction is undrainable, but do total energy of strong interaction (in a particular case) could be more or less than the energy you get when transforming mass to energy?

I know I'm confused and possibly both are the same, but appreciate an explanation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The strong interaction holds three quarks together to form a proton. What mass are you converting to energy?

hydrogen atom, 1 proton...

Maybe I don't understand the question. But I'll try to answer.

An ionised hydrogen atom is a proton. This is held together by the strong force and quantitatively speaking this is a 3 quark bound state.

Although the idea of individual quark masses is a bit misleading (they always come in bound States), the effective mass of the up and down quarks is ~5 MeV. While the proton is 1 GeV. You could attribute this difference to the strong force.

Alternatively, do you mean the energy taken to expel a valence electron compared to the macroscopic strong force of a few bound nuclei? For example the energy required to fission a He nuclei out of a larger atomic mass nuclei?

atom= bound states of charged nuclei with charged electrons... charged= electrically charged and the energy of interaction comes from the electromagnetic interactions...
nuclei= bound states of protons and neutrons ... mainly by strong interactions for large distances/low energies (where the mesonic effective field theories hold)
protons= bound states of quarks and gluons...

And in general the relation [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] does not hold when you have interactions too, at least not in the same way - because you have to take into account the energy from the interactions... In QFT framework, the mass of such a system should get corrections from calculating further Feynman Diagrams.

Likes vanhees71

What is the difference between E=mc^2 and energy in strong interaction?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein that states the equivalence of mass and energy. It explains that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa. On the other hand, energy in strong interaction refers to the energy associated with the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This force binds protons and neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom.

How are E=mc^2 and energy in strong interaction related?

The strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together, is also the force that holds the nucleus together. This force is so strong that it can convert a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy, as described by the equation E=mc^2.

Which one is more powerful, E=mc^2 or energy in strong interaction?

It is not accurate to compare the two as they are different concepts. E=mc^2 is a general equation that applies to all forms of energy, while energy in strong interaction only refers to the energy associated with the strong nuclear force. Both are powerful in their own ways.

Can E=mc^2 be applied to the strong interaction?

Yes, E=mc^2 can be applied to the strong interaction. In fact, it is a fundamental principle used in nuclear physics to understand the behavior of subatomic particles and nuclear reactions.

Are there any real-life applications of E=mc^2 and energy in strong interaction?

Yes, both concepts have several real-life applications. E=mc^2 is used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity and in nuclear weapons. Energy in strong interaction is also utilized in nuclear reactions and medical applications such as cancer treatments.