E=MC2 vs The End: Exploring the Laws of the Universe

• Thread starter Zenparticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary, the conversation is about the concepts of E=mc2 and the end of the universe. The OP poses a question about how everything will eventually die if energy cannot be destroyed, and where the energy goes in a cycle. Another user explains the concept of entropy and how it relates to the eventual "heat death" of the universe. There is also a discussion about civility and insulting language on the forum. Overall, the conversation addresses the ideas of energy, mass, and the eventual end of the universe.
Zenparticle
E=MC2 vs "The End"

I was listening to this Nova audio compilation here:

"[URL
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/experts.html

It's about E=mc2 or rather an explanation of it through the eyes of a few renowned Physicists. Interesting question popped into my mind. I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly. If energy can not be destroyed and anything with mass has energy - how is it everything will die? Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter- where then does this energy go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The energy just goes and goes and goes... kinda like your post. Sorry, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

russ_watters said:
The energy just goes and goes and goes... kinda like your post. Sorry, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

OK, I may need a lesson in making better posts, and in turn maybe you could take a lesson in; dare I say,being humble?

OK then here is an easy one for you- give me an example of energy converting to mass-

Here is three:

The Fusion of elements heavier than Iron.
Endothermic chemical reactions.
The creation of particles by collisions in particle accelerators.

But I agree that I don't see the point of your post and don't really understand the question you are asking?

"I was listening to this Nova audio compilation here:

It's about E=mc2 or rather an explanation of it through the eyes of a few renowned Physicists. Interesting question popped into my mind. I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly. If energy can not be destroyed and anything with mass has energy - how is it everything will die? Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter- where then does this energy go?"

Sorry man, there are plenty of << deleted by berkeman>> around here waiting to show their superiority. Although your question is a little vague and fragmented, I will try to answer without being a complete << deleted by berkeman>> .

"I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly"

First if all it looks like your giving lively characteristics to atomic particles and energy. Mass can not "die" in the terms that you have given it.

"Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter"

In actuallity, space is never really a void. A void is a theoretical concept, and in space probably does not exist. At the very least there are hydrogen atoms. In intergalatic space for example (vast space between galaxies) there is an average of 1 hydrogen atom per square meter. Space is full of dust, runaway atoms, etc.

I'm sure someone else could answer your questions a little better. Hopefully not everyone will treat you like a moron because you're not an english major or an astrophysics.

Zenparticle said:
I was listening to this Nova audio compilation here:

"[URL

It's about E=mc2 or rather an explanation of it through the eyes of a few renowned Physicists. Interesting question popped into my mind. I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly. If energy can not be destroyed and anything with mass has energy - how is it everything will die? Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter- where then does this energy go?

Probably what you are looking for is the concept of entropy. While energy is conserved, entropy, on the average, always increases. So in general terms, the universe tends towards a "heat death" because of entropy.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/end.html

is a good article about current projections about the end of the universe with current standard cosmological models.

Nexus555 said:
Sorry man, there are plenty of << deleted by berkeman>> around here waiting to show their superiority. Although your question is a little vague and fragmented, I will try to answer without being a complete << deleted by berkeman>> .

I'm sure someone else could answer your questions a little better. Hopefully not everyone will treat you like a moron because you're not an english major or an astrophysics.

Let's try to stay civil here, folks. Several of us had trouble understanding the OP, so there's no need to use vulgar language and be insulting to others, whether they are a Mentor or other user of the PF. That is expressly against the PF rules, and will earn infraction points.

Nice post by the new Mentor pervect, BTW. :biggrin:

Thank you for your replies. Pervect- That paper was really neat-of course a bit depressing but, I suppose I feel like that when thinking about the "END" of things. You each answered my question, pretty cool for not being able to understand me:rolleyes: THX

Related to E=MC2 vs The End: Exploring the Laws of the Universe

1. What is the significance of E=MC2 in understanding the laws of the universe?

E=MC2 is a fundamental equation in physics that relates energy (E) to mass (M) and the speed of light (C). This equation helps us understand the relationship between matter and energy and how they are interchangeable. It is also a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

2. How does E=MC2 impact our daily lives?

Although it may seem like a complex equation, E=MC2 has significant impacts on our daily lives. It is the basis for nuclear energy and weapons, as it explains the immense amount of energy released in nuclear reactions. It also plays a role in technologies such as GPS and medical imaging.

3. Can E=MC2 be applied beyond the physical world?

Yes, E=MC2 can be applied to various fields beyond just physics. It has implications in philosophy, cosmology, and even spirituality. Some scientists believe that this equation could help us understand the origins of the universe and the underlying laws that govern it.

4. How does E=MC2 relate to the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

E=MC2 is a direct result of the mass-energy equivalence principle, which states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing. This principle was first proposed by Einstein and led to the development of his famous equation. It helps us understand that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another.

5. Are there any limitations to E=MC2?

While E=MC2 is a powerful and widely accepted equation, it does have limitations. It is only applicable in certain situations, such as when objects are moving at very high speeds or in nuclear reactions. It also does not account for gravity, which is described by a separate theory. However, E=MC2 remains a crucial tool in understanding the laws of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.