Early Morning Mystery: Pitch Black at 9:45am in BC

In summary, last year in my city during the winter, all the streetlights were on during the smog and holiday was declared. This year, the California wildfires are causing the same problem. Be careful.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It is 9:45 am in my city in British Columbia, and it is pitch black. All the streetlights are on!

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh oh...

I hope you're safe, George!

George Jones said:
It is 9:45 am in my city in British Columbia, and it is pitch black. All the streetlights are on!
That's a dangerous case. Here in India, our capital New Delhi faced this last year during the winter. The smog was too much, and holiday was declared in all offices and schools.

Be careful.

George Jones said:
This is from the California wildfires or something else?

Doc Al said:
Uh oh...

I hope you're safe, George!

Wrichik Basu said:
That's a dangerous case. Here in India, our capital New Delhi faced this last year during the winter. The smog was too much, and holiday was declared in all offices and schools.

Be careful.

phinds said:
This is from the California wildfires or something else?

My province is full of forest fires, but I am not in any danger, except breathing is not good. My 12-year-old-daughter was supposed to go to a day-camp at which she would have been outside for 7 hours, but we kept her home (as did some other parents).

Brighter now, but still extremely smokey.

Here is is a map of the fires in my province. I am in Prince George, which is on the map.

http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2018-british-columbia-wildfires

Good grief! Looks like you guys are getting hit just as hard as California.

We had a diet coke version of that last year during the wildfires in Portugal. A giant blanket of ..smoke thing .. flew over Europe. The sky suddenly turned dark greenish, it was weird. Your situation sounds leagues worse, hope it'll clear up soon.

phinds said:
Good grief! Looks like you guys are getting hit just as hard as California.

nuuskur said:
We had a diet coke version of that last year during the wildfires in Portugal. A giant blanket of ..smoke thing .. flew over Europe. The sky suddenly turned dark greenish, it was weird. Your situation sounds leagues worse, hope it'll clear up soon.

Luckily, my province is not as densely populated as Europe or California.

A work email that I just received:

As you are all aware the region was recently covered by smoke which eliminated daylight and reduced visibility for a period of time.

Wildfire smoke is a mixture of very small inhalable particles and gases. The amount and makeup of smoke changes from fire to fire and as the smoke gets older. This variability means that there is a variety of health effects that range from nose, throat and eye irritation to more serious symptoms like difficulty breathing and worsening of heart and lung conditions like COPD or asthma.

As per Northern Health this is how you can reduce your exposure:
· Stay indoors, keep doors and windows closed, use HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) or EP (electrostatic precipitation) air cleaners if available
· Reduce time spent outdoors
· Avoid rigorous outdoor activities
· When driving in your vehicle keep windows and doors closed with your air conditioner set to re-circulate
· People with asthma or other chronic illness should activate any care plans prepared by their medical practitioner
· Drink plenty of water
· Visit locations that have a large volume of air that is air conditioned and filters the air (shopping malls, schools, public libraries etc.)

N95 respirators are the only masks that effectively reduce your exposure to fine particles, gases and pollutants but these types of mask require a proper ‘fit test’ before being used. Simple dust masks are unlikely to provide any reduction in exposure.

The air conditioners at UNBC bring in outside air which is then run through filters to remove particulates such as bugs, pollen and ash. The buildings are pressurized which means that when doors or windows are opened they do not let outside air in, the air from inside escapes through them. Unfortunately those filters cannot do anything for the smell.

George Jones said:

The first 30 seconds of this video show the dramatic daytime darkness that my city experienced last Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1301589059619/

:nb) :H :nb)

1. What causes pitch black darkness at 9:45am in BC?

The most likely cause of pitch black darkness at 9:45am in BC is a combination of factors such as weather conditions, location, and time of year. In BC, the sun rises between 5am and 6am, and sets between 8pm and 9pm depending on the time of year. If there is heavy cloud cover or fog in the morning, it can delay the sunrise and make it appear darker than usual. Additionally, BC is located in the northern hemisphere, where the days are shorter during the winter months, resulting in less daylight and potentially darker mornings.

2. Is this phenomenon a common occurrence in BC?

No, this is not a common occurrence in BC. The province typically experiences normal sunrise and sunset times, with some variation due to weather conditions. However, there may be a few days throughout the year where the sun rises later than usual, resulting in darker mornings.

3. Can human activities contribute to the pitch black darkness in the morning?

Human activities such as pollution and light pollution can indirectly affect the appearance of darkness in the morning. Pollution can cause hazy conditions which can make it appear darker, while light pollution from artificial lights can also impact the visibility of natural light. However, these factors are not the primary cause of pitch black darkness at 9:45am in BC.

4. How does this affect wildlife and plants?

The darkness in the morning may have a minor impact on wildlife and plants, as some species rely on natural light cues for their daily activities. However, the duration and intensity of the darkness is not significant enough to cause any major disruptions to their behavior or growth patterns.

5. Is there a way to predict when this phenomenon will occur?

It is difficult to predict when pitch black darkness will occur in the morning, as it is dependent on various factors such as weather conditions and location. However, weather forecasts and astronomical data can give an indication of potential delays in sunrise times, which may result in darker mornings.