Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed

• I
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame Line
In summary, the synodic coordinate system is used for analyzing the CR3BP, while the non-inertial frame used in Case 5 is used for other purposes such as tides.
TL;DR Summary
Looking for references to an Earth-centered frame rotating with the angular velocity of the Earth around the Sun.
I have seen plenty of references to Earth centered inertial frames (axes fixed with respect to the stars) and Earth-centered Earth fixed frames (axes fixed with respect to the Earth, rotating at the Earth's angular velocity of rotation with respect to the stars).

Does anyone know of a reference that uses a frame in which the origin is the Earth (or the barycenter of the Earth-Moon system), and in which the line from the origin to the Sun is fixed (so that the frame rotates at the angular velocity of the Earth around the Sun)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're looking for the synodic coordinate system. It's used in analysing the circular restricted three-body problem (aka 'CR3BP').
I'm not sure what references you're after, exactly, but maybe looking those keywords up will nett you something. Anything on Lyapunov and horseshoe orbits, or Lagrange points, might be a good place to check.

Bandersnatch said:
I'm not sure what references you're after, exactly

Basically looking for something that will discuss the equations of motion in the type of frame I described.

PeterDonis said:
Does anyone know of a reference that uses a frame in which the origin is the Earth (or the barycenter of the Earth-Moon system), and in which the line from the origin to the Sun is fixed (so that the frame rotates at the angular velocity of the Earth around the Sun)?
If the origin is at the barycenter of the Earth-Sun system, it's the synodic coordinate system. Used for example to compute the effective potential for Lagrangian points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point#Mathematical_details

If the origin is the Earth's center (or the barycenter of the Earth-Moon system), the rotation axis of the frame is non-inertial, so you have an additional linear inertial force. Like in this link below, Case 5 (just replace Earth & Moon with Sun & Earth):
https://www.vialattea.net/content/tides-and-centrifugal-force/

Last edited:

1. What is an Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed?

An Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed is a reference frame used in astronomy to describe the position and motion of objects in our solar system. In this frame, the Earth is at the center and the line connecting the Earth and the Sun is fixed, making it easier to study the movements of celestial bodies relative to our planet.

2. How is this frame different from other reference frames?

This frame is different from other reference frames because it is specifically centered on the Earth and has the Earth-Sun line fixed. Other frames may be centered on different objects or have different fixed points, depending on the specific needs of the study or observation.

3. Why is the Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed important in astronomy?

This frame is important in astronomy because it allows scientists to accurately describe and predict the movements of objects in our solar system. By using the Earth as a reference point and fixing the Earth-Sun line, scientists can track the positions and trajectories of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies with greater precision.

4. How is the Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed used in space missions?

Space missions often use the Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed as a reference point for navigation and communication. By knowing the exact position and orientation of the spacecraft relative to the Earth, scientists and engineers can plan and execute maneuvers more accurately.

5. Can the Earth-centered frame with Earth-Sun line fixed be used for objects outside of our solar system?

No, this frame is specifically designed for studying objects within our solar system. For objects outside of our solar system, a different reference frame, such as the galactic frame, would be used.