Earth thermal feedback effects

stuartmacg
TL;DR Summary
Published CO2 and T data seem to imply unstability.
Looking at some apparently widely accepted data, I understand:

- CO2 mass change => direct "greenhouse" heating is approx linear over ranges considered
- Doubling CO2 (i.e. adding same again) would give 1C change for direct greenhouse.
- CO2 change x1.5 since pre-industrial times (half added), hence direct greenhouse would be 0.5C
- delta T has been observed to be 1C in same period, and attributed to CO2 increase.
- this suggests feedback gain around 1 => nearly unstable heat in-> heat out loop
- heat may generate some net CO2 directly e.g. by warmed sea out gassing
- this would suggest the thermal loop (even without any external forcing) is unstable, gain>1

An unstable Earth might change between 2 saturating temperatures, with little external "forcing". Saturating regions could have loop gains just below 1.
I expect there are flaws in the above, but it would be interesting to find out where.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You are assuming the system is linear.
If there is a tipping point, the system will be non-linear.

I am not clear that that is so. A loop gain becoming >1 would generate exponential increases i.e. a "tipping point", in an otherwise linear system (e.g. microphone howl).
Non linear, second order, effects are what would change the loop gain, and create stable "saturation" levels.
What non linearities are you suggesting?

Last edited:
I see a "tipping point" as being a point where the gain of the system changes. It does not need to become greater than +1, it could just change sign, inducing a change in the trajectory of the system state.

Our replies crossed. The observed T and CO2 changes and (I am told) agreed direct CO2 heating effect together suggest that there is a purely thermal loop gain close to 1, required to amplify the CO2 "forcing" change from 0.5C to the observed 1C.

Last edited:
I made a foolish mistake: feedback effectively generates a geometric series, so if the result is to double the input, the feedback gain is 1/2, not 1. i.e. factor=1/(1-gain).

Thanks for the links. I'll work my way through this stuff.

1. What is Earth thermal feedback?

Earth thermal feedback refers to the process by which the Earth's temperature is regulated through various natural mechanisms that either amplify or dampen the effects of changes in temperature. This feedback can occur through changes in the Earth's surface albedo, water vapor, clouds, and other factors.

2. How does Earth thermal feedback affect climate change?

Earth thermal feedback plays a critical role in regulating the Earth's temperature and can either amplify or mitigate the effects of climate change. For example, as the Earth's temperature rises, ice and snow melt, reducing the Earth's albedo and leading to further warming. On the other hand, increased water vapor in the atmosphere can lead to more cloud cover, which can reflect more sunlight and cool the Earth.

3. What are the different types of Earth thermal feedback?

There are several types of Earth thermal feedback, including the ice-albedo feedback, water vapor feedback, cloud feedback, and vegetation feedback. Each of these mechanisms plays a unique role in regulating the Earth's temperature and can either amplify or dampen the effects of changes in temperature.

4. How does human activity impact Earth thermal feedback?

Human activity, such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, can significantly impact Earth thermal feedback. These activities can lead to an increase in greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, which can trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere and disrupt the natural feedback mechanisms that regulate the Earth's temperature.

5. Can Earth thermal feedback be predicted?

While scientists have a good understanding of the various Earth thermal feedback mechanisms, predicting their exact impact on the Earth's temperature is challenging. This is due to the complex and interconnected nature of these feedbacks and the many factors that can influence them, such as changes in land use and atmospheric conditions. Ongoing research and advancements in climate modeling can help improve our ability to predict Earth thermal feedback effects.