Easy Guide for Installing Pillow and Pygame on Windows XP with Python 3.4.3

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, he is using XP and is trying to install Pillow and Pygame. He is not successful and needs help.
cobalt124
TL;DR Summary
Installing Pillow and Pygame
I'm using Windows XP without Internet access with Python 3.4.3 installed. I wish to install Pillow and Pygame, but can't get them to install correctly. I'm going round in circles on the Internet, StackExchange and other sites. I've tried using:
Pillow-5.4.1.win32-py3.4.exe
Pillow-5.4.1-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi
pygame-1.9.2-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
I'm either doing something wrong and/or using the wrong installers. Does anybody know of a simple step by step guide to getting this working?

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you checked out the anaconda distro. You should be able to easily install pygame and pillow in its ecosystem via the command:

conda install -c cogsci pygame

https://anaconda.org/cogsci/pygame
and pillow via

conda install -c anaconda pillow

Without internet access will be much more problematic I fear.

cobalt124 said:
Summary: Installing Pillow and Pygame

I'm using Windows XP without Internet access with Python 3.4.3 installed. I wish to install Pillow and Pygame, but can't get them to install correctly. I'm going round in circles on the Internet, StackExchange and other sites. I've tried using:
Pillow-5.4.1.win32-py3.4.exe
Pillow-5.4.1-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi
pygame-1.9.2-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl
I'm either doing something wrong and/or using the wrong installers. Does anybody know of a simple step by step guide to getting this working?
You haven't said what error you're getting -- I will venture a guess that there's an incompatibility between Win XP (SP3?) + Python 3.4.3 and the install program -- that of course doesn't help you to fix your problem -- a better attempt at diagnosis and correction, for me at least, would require more information.

Don't try without internet access, it will be quite difficult.

Once you have internet, you can easily run pip from CMD (open CMD as administrator) using the commands pip install pillow and pip install pygame. I tried out in my system (win 10), and it worked properly.

Wrichik Basu said:
Don't try without internet access, it will be quite difficult.

Once you have internet, you can easily run pip from CMD (open CMD as administrator) using the commands pip install pillow and pip install pygame. I tried out in my system (win 10), and it worked properly.
He said that he's running XP. Entering 'pip' into a command prompt on Win7 on an internet-connected machine defaults to trying to load pipelist64.exe -- I'm not sure that will run right on whichever edition of XP he's running (I put "SP3?" in an earlier post) -- he might be running a 32-bit OS -- XP Pro 64, from year 2005, may be more recent than the XP he's using.

sysprog said:
He said that he's running XP. Entering 'pip' into a command prompt on Win7 on an internet-connected machine defaults to trying to load pipelist64.exe -- I'm not sure that will run right on whichever edition of XP he's running (I put "SP3?" in an earlier post) -- he might be running a 32-bit OS -- XP Pro 64, from year 2005, may be more recent than the XP he's using.
Most versions of Python have a x86 installer. That will have a version of pip specifically for 32 bit machines. In case the command pip somehow invokes the 64 bit version, the 32-bit version can be selected by navigating to the installation directory.

Thanks for all the advice, sorry for the late response times are busy at the moment. I suspected this would be trickier without internet access so I'm going to get that set up before I proceed and hopefully the process will be a lot more straightforward. If I still have problems, I may take a look at Anaconda.

1. How do I install Pillow and Pygame on Windows XP with Python 3.4.3?

To install Pillow and Pygame on Windows XP with Python 3.4.3, you will need to first download and install Python 3.4.3 from the official website. Then, you can use the pip command in the command prompt to install both Pillow and Pygame. Alternatively, you can also download the installation files for each library and manually install them.

2. Why do I need Pillow and Pygame for Python?

Pillow is a popular library for image processing and manipulation, while Pygame is a commonly used library for creating games and multimedia applications. Both libraries offer useful functionalities that can enhance the capabilities of your Python programs, making them more versatile and visually appealing.

3. Can I install Pillow and Pygame on other operating systems?

Yes, both Pillow and Pygame are cross-platform libraries and can be installed on various operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, the installation process may vary depending on the operating system you are using.

4. Are there any prerequisites for installing Pillow and Pygame?

Yes, you will need to have Python 3.4.3 or higher installed on your system before you can install Pillow and Pygame. Additionally, some operating systems may require you to have certain development tools or libraries installed for the installation to be successful.

5. How can I verify if Pillow and Pygame are properly installed?

You can check if Pillow and Pygame are installed correctly by importing them in a Python script and running it. If there are no errors, then the libraries are installed successfully. You can also check the list of installed packages in your Python environment to see if Pillow and Pygame are listed.