Easy proof about spanning trees (for you)

In summary: Let G' be G with the edge wi,wi+1 removed.Pick any vertex x in G. Divide the vertices of G into subsets A(x) and B(x) where vertices in A(x) can be reached from x via G' and vertices in B(x) cannot.Pick a vertex y in B(x). Now all you need to do to prove (b) is to demonstrate a route from x to y in G2.In summary, the conversation discusses proving the existence of a cycle in a subgraph G1 obtained by adding an edge that is not in a spanning tree T. It also discusses showing that a subgraph G2, created by removing an edge from the cycle in G1, is a spanning
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Let T be any spanning tree of an undirected graph G. Suppose that uv is any edge in G that is not in T. The following proofs are easy by using the definitions of undirected tree, spanning tree and cycle

a)Let G1 be the subgraph that results from adding uv to T. Show that G1 has a cycle involving uv, say (w1,w2,...wp,w1, where p>=3, u =w1 and v=wp

b) Suppose anyone edge wi,wi+1, is removed from the cycle created in part(a), creating a subgraph G2(which depends on i). Show that G2 is a spanning tree for G

Homework Equations

I think that this is relevant in this proof, any free tree with N vertices has N-1 edges. "The book did not give any hint".

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Let n be the number of vertices of an undirected graph. Therefore, its minimum spanning tree will have n-1 edges. A spanning tree in this case is also a connected acyclic graph which has the same property. If we add 1 more edge from G that is not in the spanning tree, we get n-1+1=n. This violates the property of CAG which implies that the graph has a cycle.

b)by part a, we have n vertices and n different edges, so if we take away 1, we will have n-1 different edges which implies that the graph is acyclic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let G' be G with the edge wi,wi+1 removed.
Pick any vertex x in G. Divide the vertices of G into subsets A(x) and B(x) where vertices in A(x) can be reached from x via G' and vertices in B(x) cannot.
Pick a vertex y in B(x). Now all you need to do to prove (b) is to demonstrate a route from x to y in G2.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
Pick any vertex x in G. Divide the vertices of G into subsets A(x) and B(x) where vertices in A(x) can be reached from v via G' and vertices in B(x) cannot.
Pick a vertex y in B(x). Now all you need to do to prove (b) is to demonstrate a route from x to y in G2.
Hi andrewirk, thank you so much for helping me out. What is v?

TheMathNoob said:
What is v?
That should be x. I started with u and v, then changed them to x and y when I saw that you'd already used those letters for edges. It looks like I missed one when I was changing over.

andrewkirk said:
That should be x. I started with u and v, then changed them to x and y when I saw that you'd already used those letters for edges. It looks like I missed one when I was changing over.
wh
andrewkirk said:
Pick any vertex x in G. Divide the vertices of G into subsets A(x) and B(x) where vertices in A(x) can be reached from x via G' and vertices in B(x) cannot.
what is G2?

TheMathNoob said:
what is G2?
It's what you defined it as in (b) of the OP

1. What is a spanning tree?

A spanning tree is a subgraph of a connected graph that includes all of the vertices of the original graph and is also a tree. This means that all vertices are connected and there are no cycles in the subgraph.

2. Why are spanning trees important?

Spanning trees are important because they can help us understand the structure of a graph and find the shortest paths between vertices. They are also useful in network design and optimization.

3. How do you prove that a graph is a spanning tree?

To prove that a graph is a spanning tree, you need to show that it is a subgraph of the original graph, it includes all of the vertices of the original graph, and it is a tree (no cycles). You can also use the cut property to show that the subgraph is connected.

4. Can a graph have more than one spanning tree?

Yes, a graph can have more than one spanning tree. In fact, there can be many different spanning trees for a single graph. However, all spanning trees for a graph will have the same number of edges and vertices.

5. How do spanning trees relate to minimum spanning trees?

Spanning trees are a subset of a connected graph, whereas minimum spanning trees are the subset that has the minimum total weight among all possible spanning trees. In other words, a minimum spanning tree is the spanning tree with the smallest possible sum of edge weights.