Eddy Current Brake Behavior (Accelerating From Rest)

In summary: As stated above, the force would be sudden and violent, so the metal would want to accelerate quickly.
SCM25
Hey guys,

So I'm interested in the application of an eddy current brake system as a high intensity shock absorber of some sort. The system would consist of permanent magnets concentrated on a stationary, non ferromagnetic metal. If a sudden, intense force were to act upon the non ferromagnetic metal, how effective would the magnets be at slowing it down and stopping it? Would it be stopped almost immediately? As stated above, the force would be sudden and violent, so the metal would want to accelerate quickly. I know that there are many factors that will effect the outcome (magnet strength, metal thickness, etc.) and calculating the retarding force of an eddy current brake at high speeds is a difficult task, but in general what kind of behavior should I expect? Any and all input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very few cases can be worked out analytically. I´d suggest Smythe´s "Static and Dynamic Electricity"; he studies a rotating disk in a uniform magnetic field and computes the resulting torque. For more complex systems a numerical package is almost mandatory. As a general rule, the higher the field's strength and the metal's conductivity, the higher the braking force..

electromagnetic brakes are a common way to brake fairground rides. A magnet on the car runs in an aluminium or copper tube at the end of the ride.
You might find some practical examples in this area.

SCM25 said:
Hey guys,

So I'm interested in the application of an eddy current brake system as a high intensity shock absorber of some sort. The system would consist of permanent magnets concentrated on a stationary, non ferromagnetic metal. If a sudden, intense force were to act upon the non ferromagnetic metal, how effective would the magnets be at slowing it down and stopping it? Would it be stopped almost immediately? As stated above, the force would be sudden and violent, so the metal would want to accelerate quickly. I know that there are many factors that will effect the outcome (magnet strength, metal thickness, etc.) and calculating the retarding force of an eddy current brake at high speeds is a difficult task, but in general what kind of behavior should I expect? Any and all input would be much appreciated. Thank you.
The braking force is proportional to the velocity (or some power of it), so as the object slows down, the braking force decreases. You would probably need some other augmentation to fully stop your object.

1. How does an eddy current brake work?

An eddy current brake works by using electromagnetic induction to create eddy currents in a conductive material, such as a metal disc or rail. These eddy currents generate a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the conductor, causing it to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How does an eddy current brake behave when accelerating from rest?

When accelerating from rest, an eddy current brake will initially provide little resistance, as there are no eddy currents present. As the conductor begins to move, eddy currents are induced, and the brake will gradually increase in strength, slowing down the motion of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the behavior of an eddy current brake when accelerating from rest?

The behavior of an eddy current brake when accelerating from rest can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor is moving, and the conductivity of the material used for the conductor. Additionally, the design and placement of the brake can also impact its behavior.

4. Can an eddy current brake be used to control the speed of a moving object?

Yes, an eddy current brake can be used to control the speed of a moving object. By adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or changing the conductivity of the conductor, the resistance provided by the brake can be altered, allowing for precise control of the speed of the object.

5. Are there any advantages to using an eddy current brake when accelerating from rest?

Yes, there are several advantages to using an eddy current brake when accelerating from rest. These brakes do not require physical contact with the object being slowed down, which eliminates the need for parts to wear out or be replaced. They also provide smooth, consistent braking and do not produce any noise or friction, making them ideal for a variety of applications.