Eddy current loss in solenoid half-filled with magnetic core

In summary, the speaker is discussing a solenoid that is only half-filled with a magnetic core and is trying to determine the loss due to Eddy currents. They mention using Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field but are unable to apply it due to the geometry of the problem. They note that the normal component of magnetic flux must be equal at the center and use the equation B=uNI/L to calculate the magnetic field. However, they point out that the u value is different for the part of the solenoid filled with air and the part filled with the magnetic core. The speaker then asks how to find the magnetic field at every point inside the solenoid. They suggest that to a good approximation, the magnetic field
Benoit
Hey ! Let's say I have a solenoid that is only half-filled with a magnetic core. Now I want to know what is the loss due to Eddy currents. First, I want to find the magnetic field with Ampere's law. With this kind of geometry, I'm not even able to apply Ampere's Law ! have of picture here of the problem : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xck34VBC5MeoFp6ohS5Mrg9JjmlCcAuj_1yhuiSKYt0/edit?usp=sharing.

I know that the normal component of the magnetic flux must be equal at the center, so the flux that comes out of the core must be the same that passes through the rest of the solenoid. Ok, nice, so B=uNI/L. The problem is I have the same N, I and L for the part of the solenoid which is filled with air and for the part filled with the magnetic core, but the u is different. So I guess that when we apply Ampere's Law, we find something slightly different from the classical equation B=uNI/L. How do I find the magnetic field at every point inside the solenoid here ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To a good first approximation, the magnetic field will just be that of a solenoid of length ## L/2 ## with ## N/2 ## windings that is completely filled with iron. Accounting for the complete and precise magnetic field everywhere would require precise dimensions, etc. and may not be necessary for most calculations.

1. What is eddy current loss in a solenoid half-filled with magnetic core?

Eddy current loss refers to the energy dissipation that occurs in the form of heat when a changing magnetic field induces electric currents in a conductive material, such as the magnetic core of a solenoid.

2. How does the presence of a magnetic core affect eddy current loss in a solenoid?

The presence of a magnetic core in a solenoid can increase or decrease the eddy current loss, depending on the material and properties of the core. A good magnetic core, such as iron, can help guide and concentrate the magnetic flux, reducing eddy current loss. On the other hand, a poor magnetic core, such as copper, can increase eddy current loss due to its high electrical conductivity.

3. Why does eddy current loss occur in solenoids?

Eddy current loss occurs in solenoids because as the magnetic field changes, it induces electric currents in the solenoid's conductive material. These currents move in circular paths, creating resistance and resulting in energy dissipation in the form of heat.

4. Can eddy current loss be reduced or eliminated in a solenoid?

Eddy current loss cannot be completely eliminated in a solenoid, but it can be reduced by using a magnetic core with high permeability, such as iron, to guide and concentrate the magnetic flux. Additionally, laminating the core can help prevent eddy currents from forming, further reducing eddy current loss.

5. How does the frequency of the alternating current affect eddy current loss in a solenoid?

The frequency of the alternating current has a direct impact on eddy current loss in a solenoid. Higher frequencies result in higher eddy current loss due to the increased rate of change in the magnetic field, which induces stronger currents in the conductive material. Lower frequencies, on the other hand, result in lower eddy current loss.