Edge Data Center Size Cost Estimation in Bakersfield, CA

In summary, you are trying to do a cost estimation for an edge data center in Bakersfield, California. You don't know how big the center should be, and you don't know how to view the data traffic.
Fady Alphons
Member advised that HW must be posted in the Homework sections
I want to do a cost estimation for an edge data center in Bakersfield, California. I don't know how big should the center be and i do not know how i can view the data traffic. Can anyone help?

Technology news on Phys.org
Are you wanting to build it to deliver your web content to more quickly? Do you know the number of visitors to your website? Do you know the number of simultaneous visitors to your website?

The simultaneous number would help you determine how many processors are needed to support them and thus your cost of ownership.

There are companies who will do that for you as shown below:

http://www.edgeconnex.com/services/edge-data-centers-proximity-matters/

Also many companies are moving to Amazon Web Services to handle their web traffic and eliminate the hassle of maintaining racks of processing slices.

But apparently, folks are developing micro centers for IoT devices too:

https://www.crn.com/news/data-cente...-micro-data-centers-are-the-next-frontier.htm

Also it would seem that Docker come into play here in managing micro services in support of IoT devices allowing you to spin up a service on an as needed basis.

Do you want to build a business plan?

I assume that beside high initial costs for hardware (from servers to storage capacities and cooling systems) I suppose the main amount of maintenance costs are power, mirroring the data, data safety and measurements against data losses due to fire or other incidents. The question about traffic and response time is basically a marginal one, a technical detail solved in hours. However, it does play a role for the initial hardware sizing. It's also unclear, what kind of data will you store. A single database is easier to describe than a complex cloud system for all kind of data - documents can be stored in a database, but it's not the best way to do it.

In the end, the answer to your question without any specifications is: somewhere between $100 for a hard drive and $10,000,000,000 for a data center e.g. for climate data.

Likes jedishrfu
Fady Alphons said:
I want to do a cost estimation for an edge data center in Bakersfield, California. I don't know how big should the center be and i do not know how i can view the data traffic. Can anyone help?
Since you are posting a very long way from Bakersfield, Calif, my suspicion is that this is a schoolwork problem, and one that doesn't provide enough information for anyone to give a reasonable answer.

Is this a problem assigned as part of schoolwork?

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
Since you are posting a very long way from Bakersfield, Calif, my suspicion is that this is a schoolwork problem, and one that doesn't provide enough information for anyone to give a reasonable answer.

Is this a problem assigned as part of schoolwork?
Unfortunately yes

Fady Alphons said:
Unfortunately yes
Then you need to post your question in the Homework & Coursework section (under Engineering & Computer Scence). Be sure to give a complete statement of the problem, and include your efforts so far to answer your question.

I am closing this thread.

Likes jedishrfu

What is an edge data center?

An edge data center is a smaller, decentralized version of a traditional data center. It is located closer to end users and serves as a point of presence for content delivery, IoT, and other emerging technologies.

How is the size of an edge data center determined?

The size of an edge data center is typically determined by the amount of equipment it needs to house, such as servers, storage, networking equipment, and cooling systems.

What factors affect the cost of an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA?

The cost of an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA can be affected by several factors including the size of the facility, the location, the cost of materials and labor, and any additional features or services needed.

Are there any specific regulations or permits required for building an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA?

Yes, there may be specific regulations and permits required for building an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA. It is important to consult with local authorities and obtain any necessary permits before beginning construction.

How can I estimate the cost of building an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA?

To estimate the cost of building an edge data center in Bakersfield, CA, you will need to consider the size, location, and features of the facility. It may also be helpful to consult with a data center construction expert for a more accurate estimate.