Edit Box Size: Tips for Easier Post Creation

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, it is difficult to make changes to a post because the the text in the edit box appears so very differently formatted from what is shown in the thread. The default settings are for UNIX carriage control. Tried windows carriage control. Tried UTF-8. I think it has to be some setting on my side. People do not usually complain about things like this particular problem AFAIK...I tried [ quote ] tags. Did not try code tags, will that enforce constant character width? I would expect so. I will try wrapping the content in a code tag to preserve spacing.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
I guess this is my perceptual failing. It is difficult to make changes to a post because the the text in the edit box appears so very differently formatted from what is shown in the thread.

It took me an hour to get together one post on genetics just a minute ago. I re-edited probably 10 times. There may still be boo-boos, but I gave up.

I've tried cutting and pasting from a desktop editor like UltraEdit, but text formatted the way I want doesn't always transfer over well. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which post editor do you use in the forum?
What exactly looks different, apart from line breaks?

Are you referring to the half breed thread? Looking at your post I don't see much formatting. Maybe you can post a screenshot?

I think Jim is asking why does the edit box not afford the exact same text width as is used by the browser for displaying that text on the web page.

No a table of items about some data on homozygpus plants. Numbers refused to line up in columns. I was using an ascii editor, is that the problem, locale?

jim mcnamara said:
No a table of items about some data on homozygpus plants. Numbers refused to line up in columns. I was using an ascii editor, is that the problem, locale?
Did you try wrapping the content in a code tag to preserve spacing?

The default settings are for UNIX carriage control. Tried windows carriage control. Tried UTF-8. I think it has to be some setting on my side. People do not usually complain about things like this particular problem AFAIK...

I tried [ quote ] tags. Did not try code tags, will that enforce constant character width? I would expect so.

jim mcnamara said:
I tried [ quote ] tags. Did not try code tags, will that enforce constant character width? I would expect so.
Give it a try, that is your best bet

Unless you use a code environment, the forum will keep multiple whitespaces in a row but browsers will ignore them to display the post. Quote this post to see the effect, it is HTML standard.

Thanks for helping.

jim mcnamara said:
That's (partly, at least) a consequence of using a proportional font, I'd say. Digit symbols and spaces have different widths.
1111111 1111 (that's a single space gap)

You could set a fixed-width font yourself, or follow Greg's advice.

That is what I intend to do. Saw a nice paper today on endogenous insertions of HERV (virus) DNA into human DNA. Fortunately if I decide to post it, formatting will not eat me for lunch. Will play later on. Thanks.

1. What is an Edit Box?

An Edit Box is a text field or input area where users can enter and edit text, typically used in online forums, social media platforms, and content creation tools.

2. How do I change the size of an Edit Box?

The size of an Edit Box can typically be changed by clicking and dragging the edges or corners of the box. Alternatively, you can usually change the size by entering specific dimensions in the box's properties or settings.

3. Why is it important to adjust the Edit Box size?

Adjusting the Edit Box size can make it easier to create and edit posts by providing more space for text, reducing the need for scrolling, and improving overall readability. It can also help to make the content more visually appealing and organized.

4. Are there any general tips for adjusting Edit Box size?

Yes, it is recommended to make the Edit Box large enough to comfortably fit the desired amount of text, but not so large that it takes up too much space on the page. It is also helpful to consider the device and screen size of your audience when determining the appropriate size.

5. Can I change the Edit Box size after I have already created a post?

Yes, most online platforms and content creation tools allow you to adjust the Edit Box size even after a post has been published. However, it is best to preview the changes before making them permanent to ensure that the post still looks visually appealing and is easy to read.