Educational Brake Caliper - Suggestions?

In summary, the speaker is nearing completion of their 3D printed brake caliper project, which is intended for educational use but can also serve as a desktop item. They are planning on creating documentation and possibly a quiz to accompany the caliper, which is based on the Wilwood Dynalite Single model. The speaker is looking for feedback on what to include in the documentation and any helpful links on brake caliper information. They also mention various components of the caliper such as the fluid passages, pistons, seals, brake pads, and retainer clips. They have completed the design and have made the files available on Thingiverse.
chriswh86
Hi everyone,

My project is nearing completion and it will be a 3d printed brake caliper with the intent on it being for education although it may see a lot of use as just a neat desktop item for people.

Either way, id like to have some documentation and possibly a quiz to accompany the caliper. Documentation would be in line with providing basic drawings and material for folks to properly understand the workings of a caliper.

The caliper is based on the Wilwood Dynalite Single as seen here, http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=Dynalite Single and so some features arent included on the final 3d print such as dust boots.

Id love to here some feedback folks might have on items I should include in the documentation, areas to focus on for the caliper and if you'd like to share useful links on brake caliper information that would be helpful as well.

Some photos of the project at the bottom following my current documentation.

Terms:

Fluid Passage
Internal Fluid Passage
Cross-Over Port
Bleed Fittings
Piston Seal (Square Piston Seal - as per Wilwood)
Piston Retraction
Piston Bore
Stainless Steel Deep Cup Pistons
Brake Pads
Brake Fluid
Pad Retainer Clip
Inlet Fitting
Caliper Body
Localized Fluid Boiling
Fluid Boiling
Cylinder Bore
Mount
Sections:
  • Brake Bleeder
    • How do they seat, How do they allow fluid passage
  • Piston/Seal
    • What is the function of the Piston
    • What is the function of the Seal
    • How does fluid get to the back of the piston
  • Brake Pads/Retainer/Wear Strips
    • What is the function of a brake pad
    • How are the pads held in place on the caliper
  • Fluid Passages/Feed Line
    • How does fluid pass from side to side
    • Where does the fluid enter and exit
    • Where does the fluid come from

Here are some photos of the Caliper Project.

Early CAD work
7.png

Initial print testing
5.jpg

Adding in the magnets to attach both half's but allow a full break down of the caliper half's.
4.jpg

Starting to test fit some of the components in the mount side of the caliper
6.jpg

Nice work, I think it'll make a good educational/conversation piece.. the magnets are a good idea... did you have a question though?

You might want to consider brake pads, and show how they're mounted and retained.

Rx7man said:
Nice work, I think it'll make a good educational/conversation piece.. the magnets are a good idea... did you have a question though?

You might want to consider brake pads, and show how they're mounted and retained.

Shes about done, just got to take a few more photos tonight and roll it out tomorrow :) Those were just some early photos. It does come with the pistons,piston seals, brake pads, retainer clip and all that good stuff :)

I was just looking for suggestions on what to talk about in the documentation. I think I've about got it all now though.

Likes Rx7man
For anyone that is interested, I have completed the design and have made the files available. If you have a 3D printer this may be a project for you.

Thingiverse - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1362673

Likes Rx7man

1. What is an educational brake caliper?

An educational brake caliper is a device used to teach students about the mechanism and functions of a brake system. It is a simplified version of a real brake caliper that is often used in automotive and engineering courses.

2. How does an educational brake caliper work?

An educational brake caliper works by mimicking the functions of a real brake caliper. It usually consists of a fixed and a moving part, just like a real caliper, and students can manipulate it to see how the brake pads squeeze the rotor to slow down or stop a vehicle.

3. What are the benefits of using an educational brake caliper?

Using an educational brake caliper allows students to have a hands-on experience and better understanding of how brakes work. It also helps them develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking as they explore different scenarios with the caliper.

4. How can an educational brake caliper be incorporated into a lesson?

An educational brake caliper can be used to supplement lectures or demonstrations about brake systems. Teachers can also create activities or experiments using the caliper to engage students and reinforce their learning.

5. Are there different types of educational brake calipers available?

Yes, there are different types of educational brake calipers available, such as mechanical, hydraulic, and electronic calipers. Each type offers a unique learning experience and can be used to teach different aspects of brake systems.