Edward O. Wilson Renowned PhD Biologist, The Ant Man, has died at 92

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, E.O. Wilson was a giant of biology and a visionary. He did some controversial experiments, but overall his work was important in understanding the biology of behavior and evolution.
Physics news on Phys.org
He was a giant of biology and a visionary!

Likes jedishrfu and pinball1970
There was one experiment though where he and a colleague surveyed all life on an island, then killed it off completely and waited for it to come back. It did but with a markedly different ecosystem. An important result but at the cost of killing a thriving island ecosystem. It always bothered me about the dark reality of science.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes Astronuc, Hamiltonian and wukunlin
Although, biology is the study of life, it often involves killing things.

• Sad
Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Heres more on the island experiment

http://eo-wilson.weebly.com/island-biogeography.html
I believe that there are lots of these kind of experiments.

There are also similar natural experiments, such as: Krakatoa (an island) and Mount St. Helens (not an island, but everything was killed for quite a distance).
Islands are harder to repopulate, non-islands easier.

Except they needed an accurate survey before the event.

Likes BillTre
Here is a NY Times obituary on Wilson.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 11.08.41 AM.png

It also has a little video of him being interviewed.
It does a good job of briefly describing his biological work.

There were three parts:
  1. Island biogeography, population isolation, and likelihood of extinction in small populations
  2. Evolution of behavior, sociobiology (including those irascible humans). The evolution behavior connection also paralleled on going research in the physiological basis of behavior and the nervous system underlying those behaviors was strongly influenced by genetics (and the developmental mechanisms that generate the nervous system). This in turn lead to the study of evolutionary development (EvoDevo).
  3. Conservation and habitat protection.
His renowned expertise in ants was a big part of the first two.

Re: post #3; Danny (Daniel Simberloff, Wilson's co-author on that island repopulation experiment) was a friend of mine as a math major in undergrad school, (I remember especially how smart and generous he was), and the famous study seems to have been his PhD thesis project:
https://reflectionsonpaperspast.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/revisiting-simberloff-and-wilson-1969/

Since he switched out of math, I didn't know before how famous he is, until now, but I am not surprized.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and BillTre

1. Who was Edward O. Wilson?

Edward O. Wilson was a renowned biologist, researcher, and author who is best known for his work on sociobiology, biodiversity, and ant behavior. He was often referred to as "The Ant Man" due to his extensive research on ants.

2. What were some of Edward O. Wilson's achievements?

Edward O. Wilson was a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner for his books "On Human Nature" and "The Ants". He also received numerous other awards and honors for his contributions to biology and conservation, including the National Medal of Science and the Crafoord Prize.

3. What was Edward O. Wilson's area of expertise?

Edward O. Wilson's main area of expertise was in the study of ants and their behavior. However, he was also a pioneer in the field of sociobiology, which examines the biological basis of social behavior in animals, including humans.

4. How did Edward O. Wilson impact the field of biology?

Edward O. Wilson's work had a significant impact on the field of biology, particularly in the areas of sociobiology, biodiversity, and conservation. His research on ants helped to uncover their complex social organization and behavior, and his writings on human nature sparked important discussions and debates in the scientific community.

5. How did Edward O. Wilson's death affect the scientific community?

The death of Edward O. Wilson was a great loss to the scientific community. He was a highly respected and influential figure in the field of biology, and his contributions will continue to inspire and guide future research in the field. His death was met with an outpouring of tributes and remembrances from fellow scientists and admirers around the world.