EE vs ME -- Those with experience, please weigh in

In summary: EE students who were working on their theses. They were complaining to me that they felt that they were being used as "EE handymen" by the other departments in the School of Engineering. In summary, the conversation was about a person trying to decide between pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) or Electrical Engineering (EE). They expressed an interest in both fields, with a particular passion for classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. They also asked about which field uses more calculus, differential equations, statistics, and linear algebra, and which career would be best suited for them. The expert suggests that their interests may align with the field of electromechanics, which can be pursued through either ME or EE. They also mention that
amg63
I am trying to decide between ME or EE major.

I like both a lot. I really like classical mechanics, especially written by V. Arnold or Mardsen that applies analysis and topology to mechanics, I genuinely love it! I am also studying Statics and Dynamics by Hibbler for fun in free time and it is pretty cool.

But I also love QM, antenna and electrodynamics, signal processing. I studied several texts on QM when I was finishing up my chem undergrad (I work as chemist now). I like advanced math and physics and just can't decide which one of the two suits best my math/physics itch.

Which uses more calc/dfq/stats/LA? Which exact occupation would you say? I am hesitant of getting degree in physics or math because due to lower pay grade and less jobs (correct me if I am wrong). Would you recommend getting both?

My generals, math, physics and chem courses will all transfer. (I got my undergrad in chem from an accredited univ) Also, the Beuro of Labor Stats predicts 0 percent job growth for EE and 5% for ME. Is it wise to still pursue EE?

Be as wordy in your responses as you wish, I will enjoy reading your opinions. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
amg63 said:
Which uses more calc/dfq/stats/LA? Which exact occupation would you say? I am hesitant of getting degree in physics or math because due to lower pay grade and less jobs (correct me if I am wrong). Would you recommend getting both?

My generals, math, physics and chem courses will all transfer. (I got my undergrad in chem from an accredited univ) Also, the Beuro of Labor Stats predicts 0 percent job growth for EE and 5% for ME. Is it wise to still pursue EE?!
I'm not ME or EE so I can't comment on that, but I was curious to look over the Bureau of Labor Statistics data for my areas (for better or worst I based my education on self interest with no regard to the market). The 0% for EE combines electrical and non-computer electronics engineering, which separately is 1% and -1% growth, respectively. So you do have electrical engineering growth, which I think is the side you'd be interested in. The absolute number of positions is also large, as you said, so I think going EE isn't a terrible idea.

I'm not really sure what sort of positions a physicist can go for but the math section reveals a bunch with larger growth than engineering. Sure mathematician has a tiny number of positions, but there are applied math stuff like operations researcher, statistician, and actuary that have a decent pool of positions and huge job growth compared to engineering. So I don't think it would be a bad idea to go for applied math either.

Your interests suggest that you might find electromechanics to be an interesting area. This could be pursued either through ME or EE, although that the undergraduate level EE seems a bit more likely. At the graduate level, you could go either way.

There are interesting areas of EE that go far beyond usual circuit design. Statistical signal processing, communications systems engineering (including error coding, adaptive beamforming and MIMO, etc.), deep learning, and cryptography are intellectually challenging areas with room for creativity and lots of math. For that matter, you can get into these activities with a physics degree supplemented by a few foundational EE courses.

Congratulations on getting to the point of needing to choose between engineering specialties. The main criteria should be what excites you more... If you are at the top of your class I am sure you can find challenging work with either degree. But from my experience, EEs are much more likely to use their education and be in the main path of product design. A ME is much more likely to be in a adjunct task and be less challenged. Of course, I am a EE and for the projects I work on, many times the mechanical design how to package the electronics and how to cool them, much less interesting than what the electronics are doing...

Everyone's experience may not be the same, but the EEs I've known in my career have tended to use their math and physics in their day to day jobs a lot more than the MEs.

We tend to use that which we know. I've made an entire career using mathematical analysis applied to mechanical and electromechanical systems. This has brought me into contact with a number of both MEs and EEs. After they have been away from school for a few years, both of them tend to move toward management and away from technical work, thus using less and less mathematics. Once, while I was still an undergraduate student, I had occasion to talk with the head of the Texas Highway Department, the engineer in charge of the whole operation (he was probably a Civil engineer). I asked him how often he used calculus, and he simply laughed at me.

In terms of working on electromechanical systems (motors, generators, relays, pulsed alternators, transformers, etc.), I have found that the EEs are pretty good at applying the standard textbook models for the electromagnetic components, but are rather poor at modeling the remainder of the system (usually a mechanical system). Here the MEs have the edge, provided they are well acquainted with Hamilton's Principle because this gives a tool for addressing mixed systems with facility.

The long and short of it is, I think most of us tend to use that which we do well and enjoy. If you want to use mathematics, you will certainly find plenty of places to do so whatever the field. If you want to avoid mathematics, you will usually find a way to slough that off on someone else and thus avoid it.

1. What is the difference between EE and ME?

EE (Electrical Engineering) and ME (Mechanical Engineering) are two distinct fields of engineering that focus on different aspects of technology. EE deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while ME deals with the study and application of mechanics, energy, and materials. In simple terms, EE is more focused on the electrical and electronic systems, while ME is more focused on the mechanical and physical systems.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both EE and ME have good job prospects and it ultimately depends on the current market demand and your personal interests. However, in recent years, EE has seen a higher demand due to the rapid growth and advancements in technology, particularly in the fields of renewable energy, telecommunications, and automation.

3. Which field has a higher salary potential?

Again, the salary potential for both EE and ME depends on various factors such as job role, industry, experience, and location. However, on average, EE tends to have a slightly higher salary potential due to the high demand for skilled electrical engineers in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics manufacturing.

4. Can one switch from EE to ME or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from EE to ME or vice versa, but it may require additional education or training. The two fields have some overlapping concepts, but they also have significant differences. If you are interested in switching, it is recommended to research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the field you wish to switch to.

5. Which field is more challenging?

Both EE and ME are challenging fields of engineering and require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and critical thinking. However, some may find EE more challenging due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts, while others may find ME more challenging due to its hands-on and practical nature. It ultimately depends on an individual's strengths and interests.