Effect of Cell on circuit half-wave rectifier circuit waveforms

In summary, the conversation is about using a half-wave rectifier to charge a battery with specific ratings and requirements. The task is to determine the waveform for Vs, i0, and Vs-E, as well as the conductor angle of the diode. However, the person has not made much progress as they are confused about the effect of the battery on the waveforms and is advised to remove the battery and consider it as another component with 2 plates. The person is also asked to think about what happens when this component is placed across the output of a half-wave rectifier.
neobrain

Homework Statement

a) http://i.imgur.com/LrWxrEX.jpg b) http://i.imgur.com/3YmN3Rv.jpg

Homework Equations

A halt-wave rectifier(a) is used to charge a battery E.The battery is rated at 12V 100Wh. Average charging current for the battery should be 5A.The primary input voltage is 120v at 60Hz and the transformer has 2 : 1 turns ratio:

Determine:
i) wave form for Vs, i0, Vs - E
ii)The conductor angle of the diode.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have not really done anything tryed to draw the graph or get the conductor angle of the diode as I am confused by what effect the battery has on the waveforms.For I full wave rectifier I have something like figure (b).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi neobrain, welcome :)

OK for a start remove the battery and draw the waveform expected out of the diode

then consider what the battery is very similar to ... another component with 2 plates
what do you know about what happens when that other component is placed across the output of a half-wave rectifier ?
cheers
Dave

What is a half-wave rectifier circuit and how does it work?

A half-wave rectifier circuit is an electronic circuit that converts an alternating current (AC) input into a direct current (DC) output. It works by using a diode, which allows current to flow in only one direction, to block the negative portion of the AC input waveform. This results in a pulsating DC output waveform with half of the AC input waveform removed.

What is the effect of a cell on a half-wave rectifier circuit?

The cell, or battery, in a half-wave rectifier circuit provides a constant source of DC voltage to power the circuit. Without the cell, the circuit would not be able to function properly as it would not have a stable source of power.

How does a cell affect the waveform of a half-wave rectifier circuit?

The cell has a significant impact on the waveform of a half-wave rectifier circuit. It helps to smooth out the pulsating DC output waveform, resulting in a more stable and continuous DC voltage. Without the cell, the output waveform would be more jagged and fluctuating.

What is the difference between using a battery versus a power supply in a half-wave rectifier circuit?

Both a battery and a power supply can be used to provide the necessary DC voltage for a half-wave rectifier circuit. However, a battery will have a limited lifespan and will eventually need to be replaced, whereas a power supply can provide a continuous source of power. Additionally, a power supply can typically provide a higher voltage output than a battery.

What are some potential applications of a half-wave rectifier circuit?

A half-wave rectifier circuit can be used in various applications where a DC voltage is required. Some examples include battery charging, motor control, and signal processing in electronic devices. It can also be used in AC to DC power supplies for small electronics such as radios and televisions.