Effect of Covid-19 on architecture

In summary, people will design their buildings to be more secure in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic. Some items, like the alcohol dispenser, will likely stay, but others, like the gloves and 6-foot X's for standing line, will go away after a while.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Will the Covid-19 pandemic have an effect on architecture?

Speculations:

1. Buildings for restaurants, banks, and other retail businesses will be designed to provide ample drive-up service.

2. Factories will be designed to provide "social distancing" between employees.

3. The porches and entrances of homes will be designed to facilitate secure delivery of packages and other goods.

4. Hospitals will be designed with wards that can be quickly converted to ICU wards.

Perhaps something can be done for sports stadiums, movie theaters, and auditoriums - design them so its easy to close or remove seating when they need to keep people further apart?

• Informative
Likes 256bits, BillTre and S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
I went to a hamburger takeout place yesterday.
While waiting for my order I noticed the way the airflow was design (sucking air out of a large room from above where the cooking occurred, at the back of the room) drew air in from customers (not all masked) toward the masked and gloved employees doing food prep.
This seemed to me non-optimal in that:
  • the customers were a more likely source of contamination
  • the food was in the path of the airflow
While I like the idea of large rooms and air turn over, this seemed like it could be improved upon.
However, I don't know if there is some code about exhausting air from the cooking area, but I would not be surprised if there is.

To preserve the cooking area exhaust and keep air turnover in the waiting area, while prevent customer derived air from the food prep area would seem to require a wall of some kind, or modifying the air flow (air supply between the customer and cooking area, additional air exhaust in customer area, or both).

Likes 256bits
They put up plexiglass barriers after 911 in bank wickets and some places.
Over time these were removed, as people began to feel more secure.

And now they are put back up again for a different reason.
Some additions will stay, and others removed ever time.

I forget when the glove thing for fast food joints became the thing, several years back.
That will probably stay.
As will the squirt of alcohol dispenser, but remembering to fill it up should wane off after a while.
As will the 6-foot X's for standing line.

Those are not architecture per se, but just giving the idea that people, and authorities, and business will pick and choose.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
o preserve the cooking area exhaust and keep air turnover in the waiting area, while prevent customer derived air from the food prep area would seem to require a wall of some kind, or modifying the air flow (air supply between the customer and cooking area, additional air exhaust in customer area, or both).
Ventilation is all coded, either nationally and or sub- governments adding on.
A municipality might decree that smoke ( wood burning pizza places ), from cooking, cannot be directly deposited into the atmosphere, but has to be treated.
Some buildings would have to be completely gutted and re-modeled to conform to stringent air quality standards that might be contemplated. Grandfather clauses for the vast majority of presently standing buildings would be asked for.
Who knows - they passed laws banning smoking in public places, and at first some kicking and screaming from certain businesses ( bars and restaurants ), but now not a peep as it is an accepted social custom.

Hospitals already have positive and negative pressure for sensitive areas, and air exchange guidelines, either to keep bugs in or to keep bugs out. I don't see much change there.

Likes BillTre

What is the impact of Covid-19 on the architecture industry?

The impact of Covid-19 on the architecture industry has been significant. With restrictions on construction and limited access to sites, many projects have been delayed or put on hold. Additionally, the economic downturn has caused a decrease in demand for new buildings, causing firms to face financial challenges.

How has the pandemic affected the design of buildings?

The pandemic has forced architects to consider new design elements, such as incorporating more outdoor spaces and implementing better ventilation systems. There is also a greater emphasis on creating flexible and adaptable spaces to accommodate potential future health crises.

What changes have been made to construction sites to prevent the spread of Covid-19?

Construction sites have implemented various safety measures, such as mandatory mask-wearing, increased sanitation, and social distancing protocols. Many sites have also reduced the number of workers allowed on-site at one time to limit potential exposure.

How has the pandemic affected the demand for certain types of buildings?

The pandemic has shifted the demand for buildings, with a decrease in demand for office and retail spaces, and an increase in demand for healthcare facilities and residential buildings. Additionally, there is a growing demand for buildings with sustainable and resilient design features.

What long-term effects will Covid-19 have on the architecture industry?

It is still too early to determine the long-term effects of Covid-19 on the architecture industry. However, it is likely that there will be a continued focus on designing for public health and incorporating more technology into building design. There may also be changes in the way buildings are used, with a potential increase in remote work and a need for adaptable spaces.