Effect of Dropped Class on Grad School Acceptance

In summary, a student is struggling in their freshman biology class and is considering dropping it to protect their GPA. They previously took AP Biology in high school but are still struggling in the college course. However, dropping the class may not have a significant impact on their chances of getting into optometry school. The bigger concern is that the student is struggling in an introductory course for their major, which may affect their future classes. Additionally, professional schools may not accept the AP biology course as a prerequisite. It is advised that the student look into the reasons for their struggles and consider the long-term implications before dropping the class.
Daweih
I'm currently a Bio major in freshman year, and I currently have plans to go to optometry school. The thing is, I made the mistake of underestimating a class (Freshman Biology) and "ruined" my gpa as a result. I got an A-, which is perfectly fine, but nonetheless, if I had put forth a little bit more effort, an A would have been entirely possible. I'm currently in my second semester of Biology, and pathetically enough, I'm basically committing the same mistake as last semester. At this point, truth be told, I'm absolutely sick of this class. I had previously taken AP Biology in high school and got a 5 on the exam, so technically, I do have credit for this class. However, I decided to take it again with the idea of making it my gpa cushion, if you will. In hindsight, that was a idiotic mistake on my part. Right now, I'm considering dropping this class with a W since my chances of getting an A are very slim at this point. I just don't want to put up with it anymore. I just need to know if this would seriously compromise my chances of getting into Optometry school. Thank you in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to an adviser.

Last edited:
My gpa is only 3.6 at the moment. I'm on the verge of getting a C in the class. You tell me if my choice is unreasonable or not. i just want to know whether dropping the class before it seriously hampers my gpa would yield worse consequences than sticking with it.

From a technical point of view a single dropped class is unlikely to have a significant effect on your opportunities for graduate school or professional school.

However, the bigger issue is that you're hurting in the first year introductory course of your major. Your future classes are only going to build on what this class covers. It would seem naive to think that just because you've taken it in high school and have credit for it that you "know" the material. If you knew it that well - wouldn't you be breezing through with the marks you thought you were capable of?

Another possible issue is that professional schools like medicine or optometry have a set of required courses in undergrad. Depending on the school they may or may not accept your "AP" course as one of their prerequisits. I would seriously look into this before dropping a course.

Choppy said:
From a technical point of view a single dropped class is unlikely to have a significant effect on your opportunities for graduate school or professional school.

However, the bigger issue is that you're hurting in the first year introductory course of your major. Your future classes are only going to build on what this class covers. It would seem naive to think that just because you've taken it in high school and have credit for it that you "know" the material. If you knew it that well - wouldn't you be breezing through with the marks you thought you were capable of?

Another possible issue is that professional schools like medicine or optometry have a set of required courses in undergrad. Depending on the school they may or may not accept your "AP" course as one of their prerequisits. I would seriously look into this before dropping a course.

I agree completely. You seem to be worried about your GPA and how it will look on your transcript. But you seem to be missing the fact that you're failing (a C is failing for me) a freshman biology class. You should be thinking about what you are doing wrong in the class and why you are doing so badly. The classes next year aren't going to be any easier to you and withdrawing won't be an option. That your GPA takes a hit right now is much less important than the fact that you don't seem to know the material well!

What is the "Effect of Dropped Class on Grad School Acceptance"?

The "Effect of Dropped Class on Grad School Acceptance" refers to the impact that dropping a class in college may have on a student's chances of being accepted into graduate school.

Why is the effect of dropped class on grad school acceptance important?

Graduate schools often have strict requirements for admission, including a minimum number of completed courses and a minimum GPA. Dropping a class can affect both of these factors, potentially decreasing a student's chances of being accepted into their desired graduate program.

Will one dropped class ruin my chances of getting into grad school?

It depends on the individual circumstances and the policies of the specific graduate program. In some cases, one dropped class may not have a significant impact on a student's overall application. However, if the dropped class was a required course for the program or if it significantly affects the student's GPA, it may have a negative effect on their chances of acceptance.

How can I minimize the impact of a dropped class on my grad school application?

If possible, it is best to avoid dropping a class in the first place. However, if dropping a class is necessary, students should communicate with their professors and academic advisors to understand the potential consequences and explore alternative options, such as retaking the class or taking an additional course to make up for the dropped one. Additionally, maintaining a strong overall GPA and having a solid explanation for why the class was dropped can also help minimize the impact on the grad school application.

Are there any exceptions or special circumstances for dropped classes in the grad school application process?

Some graduate programs may allow for exceptions or take special circumstances into consideration when evaluating a student's application. These could include medical or personal emergencies, or extenuating circumstances that were out of the student's control. It is important for students to communicate these circumstances with the admissions committee and provide any necessary documentation to support their case.