Effect of golf shaft length and flex

In summary, the effect of shaft flex on impact velocity is important to consider in order to optimize your golf swing. The flex of the shaft should be matched to your swing acceleration, with more flex for higher acceleration and less flex for lower acceleration. A stiffer shaft stores and releases more energy, so the amount of flex needed depends on the speed and acceleration of your swing. Choosing the wrong flex can result in a loss of energy and affect the trajectory of the ball.
Kariege
Hi,
I'm wondering about the effect of the shaft flex on the impact velocity between the club and the ball. I understand that as I swing down the golf club, the shaft flexes and the club head lags behind. Near the end of the point of impact, the shaft bends forward. Intuitively, I would think that the more the shaft flexes, the more impact speed I get, hence more launch speed.

However, I've read on several sites that say the this actually decrease the launch velocity of the ball. So I just need help on the clarifications.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The shaft flex must be matched to your swing acceleration, otherwise the shaft might not straighten as it approaches the ball. More flex for higher acceleration, less flex for lower acceleration.

Put another way: when a shaft is less flexible, it stores more energy for the same amount of flex because the force required to make it flex is higher.

russ_watters said:
The shaft flex must be matched to your swing acceleration, otherwise the shaft might not straighten as it approaches the ball. More flex for higher acceleration, less flex for lower acceleration.

Put another way: when a shaft is less flexible, it stores more energy for the same amount of flex because the force required to make it flex is higher.

Sry I couldn't quite catch exactly what you said in the final sentence.

Did you mean that if the shaft flexes more, more energy is used up? So that means the reason why there is less impact speed is because some of the energy is lost due to the flexing of the shaft?

No, I mean for the same amount (distance) of flex, a stiffer shaft stores and releases more energy.

The flexing of the shaft does not generally result in a loss of energy, it is simply an energy storage method. So what matters is storing as much energy as you can and releasing that stored energy at the right time.

Likes Kariege
Thanks. It's starting to make more sense to me now.

But if I have the same swing speed for both flex shaft and stiff shaft, the flex shaft would obviously flex more and the stiffer shaft would flex less. So which shaft would allow me to get more launch speed of the ball, considering my swing has the same speed, and acceleration?

Kariege said:
Thanks. It's starting to make more sense to me now.

But if I have the same swing speed for both flex shaft and stiff shaft, the flex shaft would obviously flex more and the stiffer shaft would flex less. So which shaft would allow me to get more launch speed of the ball, considering my swing has the same speed, and acceleration?
Well that's just it -- it depends on what the speed and acceleration of your swing actually is. If you have a low swing speed/acceleration, a lower flex will be better. If you have a higher swing speed/acceleration, a stiffer flex will be better. If you choose wrong:

If you have a high swing speed and choose a low flex, it won't rebound and release the stored energy onto the ball. Worse, the fact that the shaft will still be flexed at impact means the club head will be open and drag, resulting in a high slice.

If you have a low swing speed and choose a stiff flex, it won't store any energy, so it won't help you hit the ball harder.

Likes Kariege
By "low flex", do you mean high flexibility (flex more)?
It can't be low flexibility( flex less )because then that would be a stiff flex.
Tks

Kariege said:
By "low flex", do you mean high flexibility (flex more)?
It can't be low flexibility( flex less )because then that would be a stiff flex.
Tks
Yes, you are correct: I worded that poorly.

Ok I understand now.
Thanks a lot

1. How does the length of a golf shaft affect my swing?

The length of a golf shaft can greatly impact your swing. A longer shaft can help increase your clubhead speed, allowing for longer shots. However, it may also make it more difficult to control the direction of your shots. On the other hand, a shorter shaft can provide more control, but may sacrifice distance.

2. What is the difference between a flexible and stiff golf shaft?

The flex of a golf shaft refers to its ability to bend during a swing. A flexible shaft will bend more, providing more power and distance. A stiff shaft will not bend as much, allowing for more control and accuracy. The right flex for a golfer depends on their swing speed and strength.

3. Can changing the length or flex of my golf shaft improve my game?

Yes, changing the length or flex of your golf shaft can have a significant impact on your game. It is important to find the right combination that suits your swing and playing style. This can be achieved through testing and fitting with a professional club fitter.

4. Does the length and flex of a golf shaft affect all clubs in a set?

Yes, the length and flex of a golf shaft can affect all clubs in a set. However, the impact may vary depending on the club. For example, the length of a driver shaft may have a greater impact on distance compared to the length of an iron shaft.

5. Can a golfer of any skill level benefit from using a specific length and flex of golf shaft?

Yes, golfers of all skill levels can benefit from using a specific length and flex of golf shaft. However, it is important to find the right combination that suits your individual swing and abilities. What works for one golfer may not work for another, so it is important to experiment and get fitted by a professional if possible.