Effect of welding heat on hot rolled steel

In summary, the heat from welding will decrease the yield strength of the steel, but the exact amount is dependent on factors such as welding temperature and duration. It is recommended to consult with an expert for a more accurate estimate.
ajk108
Hey guys this might be a question better suited for the Materials Engineering section but I'm not sure how much they deal with welding. Anyway I am trying to figure out how much the heat from a typical welding process would effect a steel's yield strength. I understand that on a cold worked steel the heat will significantly lower the yield strength, but what about on a hot rolled steel? I know there is no specific number but just curious if anyone has any experience with this type of thing and could give me a rough estimate. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The heat from welding will definitely affect the yield strength of the steel, but the exact amount is difficult to predict. Generally speaking, the higher the welding temperature (and the longer it is applied) the more the yield strength of the steel will be reduced. Hot rolled steel typically has a higher resistance to heat compared to cold worked steel, but it still can be affected by the heat from welding. It is best to consult with an expert in welding and materials engineering to get an estimate of how much the yield strength may be affected.

What is welding heat and how does it affect hot rolled steel?

Welding heat is the heat generated during the process of joining two pieces of metal by melting and fusing them together. This heat can have both positive and negative effects on hot rolled steel, depending on the welding technique used and the properties of the steel.

Does welding heat weaken or strengthen hot rolled steel?

The effects of welding heat on hot rolled steel can vary. In some cases, the heat can weaken the steel by causing it to lose some of its hardness and strength. However, in other cases, the heat can actually strengthen the steel by altering its microstructure and increasing its toughness.

What precautions should be taken when welding hot rolled steel?

To minimize any negative effects of welding heat on hot rolled steel, it is important to follow proper welding techniques and precautions. This includes using the correct welding temperature and technique, as well as using preheating and post-weld heat treatment if necessary. It is also important to use the correct filler metal and avoid excessive heat input during the welding process.

Can welding heat cause distortion in hot rolled steel?

Yes, welding heat can cause distortion in hot rolled steel due to the differential expansion and contraction of the metal during the welding process. This can lead to changes in the shape and dimensions of the steel, which may affect its overall strength and integrity. Proper welding techniques and precautions can help minimize distortion in hot rolled steel.

Are there any other factors that can affect the impact of welding heat on hot rolled steel?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the effect of welding heat on hot rolled steel. These include the composition and properties of the steel, the type of welding process and equipment used, and the welding environment (such as humidity and temperature). It is important to consider all of these factors when assessing the potential impact of welding heat on hot rolled steel.