Effective masses of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP ?

• Thread starter T Mascia
  • Start date
In summary, if you need the effective masses of electrons, light & heavy holes, and split-off carriers in GaAs-lm InGaAsP, you can find them in databases such as the NIST Materials Database and the Semiconductor Parameters Database. You can also use theoretical methods like the k.p method or DFT to compute them.
T Mascia
Dear community,

For numerical simulations, I need the effective masses of electrons, light & heavy holes, and split-off carriers, in GaAs-lm InGaAsP. Alternatively, I am considering using the k.p method to estimate them, but couldn't find information on the appropriate Luttinger parameters. Are you aware of any database where the masses or the Luttinger parameter are available? How would you suggest I could proceed? Are there any other relatively simple methods to compute them (DFT or else) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have encountered a similar situation and have found the following resources useful. The NIST Materials Database (https://www.nist.gov/materials-database) contains several entries for GaAs-InGaAsP materials with effective mass values for electrons, light holes, and heavy holes. A more comprehensive database that I have found useful is the Semiconductor Parameters Database (http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1354996/files/SPDB-1.0.pdf). It provides Luttinger parameters and effective mass values for many semiconductor materials. Additionally, there are several theoretical methods (such as the k.p method) that can be used to compute effective masses. The book "Numerical Simulation of Semiconductor Devices" by M. Stutzmann and D. J. Paul gives an overview of various such methods. Finally, density functional theory (DFT) could also be used to compute effective masses.

Your friendly neighbor. The most reliable sources for obtaining the effective masses of electrons, light & heavy holes, and split-off carriers in GaAs-lm InGaAsP are through theoretical modeling and calculations. One commonly used approach to obtain the effective masses is by using the k.p method, which relies on Luttinger parameters. The Luttinger parameters for a variety of materials can be found in the literature. Additionally, there are databases and online tools that provide this information. For example, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has a searchable database of Luttinger parameters for different materials. Other than the k.p method, you may also consider using Density Functional Theory (DFT) to calculate the effective masses. DFT is a powerful, accurate, and widely-used method for obtaining the electronic structure of materials. It can provide an accurate description of the electronic band structure and can be used to compute the effective masses. However, it is computationally expensive and requires high-performance computing resources. I hope this helps!

1. What is the effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP?

The effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP is typically around 0.05 to 0.07 times the mass of an electron, depending on the composition of the alloy.

2. How is the effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP determined?

The effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP is typically determined through experimental techniques such as cyclotron resonance or magneto-optical spectroscopy.

3. What factors affect the effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP?

The effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP is affected by the composition of the alloy, the temperature, and the presence of defects or impurities in the crystal structure.

4. Why is the effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP important?

The effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP is important because it determines the electronic and optical properties of the material, such as its bandgap and carrier mobility, which are crucial for device applications.

5. How does the effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP compare to other semiconductors?

The effective mass of GaAs-lattice-matched InGaAsP is relatively low compared to other semiconductors, making it a desirable material for high-speed and high-frequency electronic devices.