Effects of engine torque on engine to chassis mountings

In summary, the conversation discusses a design for a go-kart-like vehicle that involves calculations for mounting a motorcycle engine to the main chassis via steel rods. The engine torque and potential stress and failure in the steel rods are questioned, along with the availability of formulas for calculation. The conversation also mentions the lack of a definite design and the need for proper support for the weight and torque of the engine. The specific engine mentioned is a Yamaha R6 with a horsepower of 110.
Edward97
I'm currently working on a design for a go-kart-like vehicle which involves some calculations. The engine used is a motorcycle engine and it is mounted to the main chassis via steel rods. I would like to know how the engine torque (i have an estimated value of ~45Nm) will cause stress and failure in the steel rods and if there are any formulas that be could used for this calculation.

This is my first time working with an engine and designing a vehicle so any help will be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Edward97 said:
I'm currently working on a design for a go-kart-like vehicle which involves some calculations. The engine used is a motorcycle engine and it is mounted to the main chassis via steel rods. I would like to know how the engine torque (i have an estimated value of ~45Nm) will cause stress and failure in the steel rods and if there are any formulas that be could used for this calculation.

This is my first time working with an engine and designing a vehicle so any help will be much appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

Why are you using steel rods? That doesn't seem like a very solid way to mount an engine. Seems like at the very least you should be using plates instead of rods.

Can you Upload a sketch of the chassis and the engine?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Why are you using steel rods? That doesn't seem like a very solid way to mount an engine. Seems like at the very least you should be using plates instead of rods.

Can you Upload a sketch of the chassis and the engine?
Capture.PNG

This is just one of the numerous designs I've found online. Do you mind explaining how the engine torque creates stress in the member connecting the engine to the rest of the chassis using this example?

(I don't have a definite design for now)

Edward97 said:
View attachment 117219
This is just one of the numerous designs I've found online. Do you mind explaining how the engine torque creates stress in the member connecting the engine to the rest of the chassis using this example?

(I don't have a definite design for now)
Do you have a drawing or pictures of the engine showing the output countersprocket and the engine mounting points? Which bike is this engine from? There should be some good drawings of the engine in its Service Manual if you have access to that.

The main forces you need to do a good job of supporting are the weight of the engine, and the torque transferred from the countershaft to the engine mounting points.

berkeman said:
Do you have a drawing or pictures of the engine showing the output countersprocket and the engine mounting points? Which bike is this engine from? There should be some good drawings of the engine in its Service Manual if you have access to that.

The main forces you need to do a good job of supporting are the weight of the engine, and the torque transferred from the countershaft to the engine mounting points.
It's a Yamaha R6
XXX_600EG0040Diagram.jpg

is this what you meant?

Edward97 said:
is this what you meant?
That's a start. Nice bracket fabrication, BTW. What about the other side? How are you going to attach those mounting brackets to your kart frame?

The R6 is about 110hp, right? That kart is going to be a handful... :smile:

What is engine torque?

Engine torque refers to the rotational force produced by the engine, which is necessary for the movement of the vehicle.

How do engine torque and engine to chassis mountings relate?

Engine torque affects the engine to chassis mountings because the mountings are responsible for transferring the engine's force and vibrations to the vehicle's frame. Therefore, any changes in engine torque can directly impact the mountings.

What are the potential effects of engine torque on engine to chassis mountings?

High levels of engine torque can cause excessive stress and strain on the mountings, leading to wear and tear. This can result in reduced stability and performance of the vehicle, as well as increased noise and vibration.

How can the effects of engine torque on engine to chassis mountings be mitigated?

Properly designed and installed mountings can help to absorb and distribute the engine torque, reducing its impact on the chassis. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify and address any issues with the mountings before they become serious.

What other factors can influence the effects of engine torque on engine to chassis mountings?

Other factors such as the weight and power of the engine, as well as the vehicle's design and suspension system, can also affect the performance and durability of the mountings under engine torque. Environmental factors such as road conditions and driving habits can also play a role.