Efficiency and Temperature in Heat Engine Cycles: Approaching Parts B, C, and D

In summary, the conversation was about the importance of setting achievable goals and having a plan to reach them. The speaker emphasized the need to break down larger goals into smaller, manageable tasks and to stay focused and disciplined in order to achieve success. They also discussed the value of celebrating small victories along the way and adjusting goals as needed.
singularcell
Homework Statement
Need help with b,c,d.
Relevant Equations
Wnet/QH
e-carnot = 1-(Tc/Th)
Screenshot 2023-05-17 204522.png
SmartSelect_20230517_204248_Samsung Notes (1).jpg

I didn't have much trouble with part a but I'm struggling with b,c, and d. I considered the efficiency formula for a heat engine e = work done by engine/ qh
but i am unsure of how to approach it.
for part c) not sure how i can get to Tc without knowing Th
for d) my gut is telling me 5/2 but i have no explanation for that. Any guidance/help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see what you've done so far in part (b).

1. What is the relationship between efficiency and temperature in a heat engine cycle?

The efficiency of a heat engine cycle is directly related to the temperature at which the engine operates. This is known as the Carnot efficiency, which states that the efficiency of a heat engine is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir. In other words, the higher the temperature at which the engine operates, the higher its efficiency will be.

2. How does the efficiency of a heat engine change as it goes through different stages of the cycle?

The efficiency of a heat engine is not constant throughout the cycle. It will vary depending on the specific processes involved in each stage. For example, in the isothermal expansion stage, the efficiency will be at its maximum, while in the adiabatic expansion stage, the efficiency will decrease. Overall, the efficiency of a heat engine will decrease as it goes through each stage of the cycle.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of a heat engine, including the temperature at which it operates, the type of fuel or energy source used, the design and construction of the engine, and the specific processes involved in each stage of the cycle. Additionally, the efficiency of a heat engine can also be affected by external factors such as friction and heat loss.

4. How does the efficiency of a heat engine compare to other types of engines?

In general, heat engines have lower efficiencies compared to other types of engines, such as electric motors. This is because heat engines rely on converting thermal energy into mechanical work, which is a less efficient process compared to directly converting electrical energy into mechanical work. However, heat engines are still widely used due to their versatility and ability to utilize a variety of fuel sources.

5. Can the efficiency of a heat engine be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a heat engine can be improved through various methods, such as improving the design and construction of the engine, using more efficient fuels, and minimizing heat loss through insulation and other measures. Additionally, new technologies and advancements in engineering continue to push the boundaries of heat engine efficiency, making them more and more efficient over time.