Efficiency Calculation for a Stirling Engine Cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamic model for a Stirling engine, with a focus on calculating the heat transfer and efficiency of the engine. The first part of the problem involves calculating the heat transfer for the complete cycle using ideal gas equations, while the second part focuses on determining the efficiency of the engine. The solution provided by the expert uses the correct efficiency formula and results in an efficiency of 1, which makes sense for a cyclic process.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

Figure 2 represents a model for the thermodynamic
cycle of the Stirling engine, patented by Scottish clergyman Robert Stirling in
1816. The engine operates by burning fuel externally to warm one of its two
cylinders. A xed quantity of inert gas moves cyclically between the cylinders,
expanding in the hot one and contracting in the cold one.

(a) Consider n mol of an ideal monatomic gas being taken
once through the cycle in Fig. 2, consisting of two isothermal processes
at temperatures 3Ti and Ti and two isochoric processes. In terms of n,
R, and Ti, determine Q for the complete cycle.

(b) What is the eciency of the engine? (Hint: The heat QH
transferred into the system happens during steps 1 and 4).

Figure 2:
f5PXbGE.png

Homework Equations

Work = nRT ln(v2/v1)
U = n Cv T
efficiency = W/Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty confident in my solution to part a ) of the problem which is this:
z2N7EPE.jpg

OP9XCo7.jpg
However when it comes to calculating efficiency, I am getting an answer of 1 . Is this possible?

b53uY45.jpg

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you're free try typing these equations use this

Okay,
So for a)

$$ Step \, 1-2\,$$
$$ Isothermal \, \therefore \delta U=0 \, , W=Q$$
$$W=nR3T_iLn(2V/V) \implies Q= nR\cdot3T_iLn(2)$$

$$Step \, 2-3 $$
$$Isochoric, \, W=0 $$
$$\delta U=n \frac{3}{2}R (T_i-3T_i) \implies Q=-2T_in\frac{3}{2}R $$

$$Step \, 3-4 $$
$$ Isothermal \, \therefore \delta U=0 \, , W=Q$$
$$W=nR3T_iLn(1V/2V) \implies Q= nR\cdot3T_iLn(1/2) = -nR\cdot3T_iln(2)$$

$$Step \,4-1$$
$$Isochoric, \, W=0 $$
$$\delta U=n \frac{3}{2}R (3T_i- T_i) \implies Q= 2T_in\frac{3}{2}R $$

$$Q_{total} = 2T_in\frac{3}{2}R + -nR\cdot3T_iln(2) + -2T_in\frac{3}{2}R + nR\cdot3T_iLn(2) = 2nRT_iLn(2) $$

$$W_{total} = nR3T_iLn(2) + 0 + nR3T_iLn(1/2) + 0 = 2nRT_iLn(2)$$

Part b)
$$ efficiency = \frac{W}{Q_H} = \frac{2nRT_iLn(2)}{2nRT_iLn(2)} = 1 $$

I would also like to add that this does make sense since for a cyclic process, $$\delta U = 0 = Q-W $$ and since Q=w, this holds. So,the question now is did I use the correct efficiency formula?

What is a Stirling engine and how does it work?

A Stirling engine is a type of heat engine that operates on the principle of cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas at different temperatures. It works by using an external heat source to heat and expand a gas, which then moves a piston to do work. The gas is then cooled and compressed, ready to be heated and expanded again.

What is the efficiency of a Stirling engine?

The efficiency of a Stirling engine is the ratio of the amount of work done by the engine to the amount of heat energy it receives. The theoretical maximum efficiency of a Stirling engine is 100%, but in reality, most Stirling engines have an efficiency of around 30-50%. This is due to energy losses from friction, heat transfer, and mechanical inefficiencies.

How can the efficiency of a Stirling engine be improved?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a Stirling engine. One way is to increase the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the engine, as this allows for more expansion and contraction of the gas. Another method is to reduce the amount of energy lost through friction and heat transfer, through careful design and use of high-quality materials. Additionally, optimizing the timing and synchronization of the engine's components can also improve its efficiency.

What are the advantages of using a Stirling engine?

One of the main advantages of a Stirling engine is its ability to run on any heat source, such as solar, geothermal, or waste heat. This makes it a versatile and sustainable option for power generation. Stirling engines also have few moving parts, making them reliable and low-maintenance. They also operate quietly and with low vibrations, making them suitable for use in residential and industrial settings.

What are the limitations of Stirling engine efficiency?

One of the main limitations of Stirling engine efficiency is the cost and complexity of the design. The high precision and quality materials required for optimal efficiency can make Stirling engines more expensive than other types of engines. Additionally, the efficiency of a Stirling engine is highly dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides, which can be difficult to maintain in some applications. Finally, the power output of a Stirling engine is relatively low compared to other types of engines, making it more suitable for small-scale or niche applications.