Efficiency & Leakage in non-circular solenoid cores

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a small iron-core D.C. electromagnet for an actuator. The original design had a circular core with 4.5mm diameter and 200 Ampere-Turns in the coil. However, due to limited space on the project, the speaker is considering shrinking the cross-sectional space of the electromagnet by making the core ellipsoid or a rectangle with rounded corners. The third axis will remain the same and the new shape will have the same area as the original circular core. However, the speaker is unable to do an FEA for these new shapes and is concerned about decreased efficiency or increased B field leakage. They are seeking help and advice from others, possibly by testing different core shapes
LowEParticle
Part of a new product we're designing needs a small iron-core D.C. electromagnet for an actuator. I designed the electromagnet's core to be circular: about 4.5mm in diameter with 200 Ampere-Turns in the coil. An axis-symmetric FEA showed the iron core to be near saturation, and producing a sufficient B field to do the work we need done.

Some other parts on the project need more space, and so I need to look at shrinking the cross-sectional space taken by the electromagnet, but only in one axis: the other axis of the cross section has room to spare, so I thought I'd simply make the iron core's cross section ellipsoid, or possibly even a rectangle with rounded corners. The third axis (axial length of the iron core) would remain the same. The shape chosen for the new cross-section would be calculated to have the same area as the original circular core, thus producing a core with the same number of magnetic domains and hopefully similar response to the original circular core.

I can't do an FEA: I'm limited to the axis-symmetic case which excludes both ellipsoid and rounded-rectangle forms. I am worried that either:

A) the new-shape core will either be significantly less efficient than the circular core, or
B) the B field leakage will increase a lot when the symmetry of the circular core is no longer present.

I would appreciate any help offered; thank you very much!
David

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usually the supplier of magnetic cores will have design information or will at least supply you with some samples to do your own evaluation.

Get a few cores of different shapes and try them out.

That's a very practical idea; thanks very much!
David

1. What is efficiency in a non-circular solenoid core?

Efficiency in a non-circular solenoid core refers to the ratio of output energy to input energy. It measures how well the core is able to convert electrical energy into magnetic energy.

2. How does the shape of a solenoid core affect its efficiency?

The shape of a solenoid core plays a crucial role in determining its efficiency. Non-circular solenoid cores, such as elliptical or rectangular cores, have a larger surface area compared to circular cores. This increased surface area results in higher eddy current losses and decreases the efficiency of the core.

3. What is leakage in a solenoid core?

Leakage in a solenoid core refers to the magnetic flux that does not pass through the core's intended path. It is caused by the non-uniform distribution of the magnetic field within the core, resulting in some of the flux escaping from the core.

4. How does leakage affect the performance of a solenoid core?

Leakage can significantly impact the performance of a solenoid core by reducing its efficiency. The escaped magnetic flux results in a weaker magnetic field, which decreases the core's ability to generate force or torque. This can lead to decreased performance and energy losses.

5. What are some methods for reducing efficiency and leakage in non-circular solenoid cores?

To reduce efficiency and leakage in non-circular solenoid cores, several techniques can be employed. These include using materials with high electrical resistivity, designing the core with a tapered shape, using laminated cores to reduce eddy current losses, and adding magnetic shielding to reduce leakage. Additionally, optimizing the winding configuration of the solenoid can also help improve efficiency and reduce leakage.