Efficiency of a steam power plant

In summary, a steam power plant is a highly efficient method of generating electricity, with an average efficiency rate of 33%. This is due to its use of steam to drive turbines, which in turn rotate generators to produce electricity. The plant also has the ability to recycle the steam, further increasing its efficiency. However, factors such as maintenance and heat loss can impact the overall efficiency of a steam power plant. Overall, a steam power plant is a reliable and efficient source of electricity.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
Assess the thermodynamic maximum efficiency for a steam solar thermal power plant operating at 750K steam temperature. Assume ideal concentration and negligible optical and insulation losses. Assume that the low temperature reservoir is at 300K and the sun is at 5600K. Calculate the thermodynamic maximum efficiency of the total system for a steam engine of 1/2 and 1/3 of the Carnot efficiency
Relevant Equations
[tex]\eta = \frac{T_1-T_2}{T_1}[/tex]
My inital assumption was to just take T1 = 5600 and T2= 300K, find the maximum efficiency and then divide it by two and three but I don't believe this question to be that simple. I'm confused as to where the 750K fits in as I thought no matter what occurred in between the heat reservoir and heat sink, the efficiency would only depend on T1 and T2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to consider that the Sun makes the steam and the steam runs the machinery of the plant. So you have two efficiencies in tandem to consider.

Ah okay, so I would just take the sum of each efficiency for the total and then divide by 2 and 3?

TheBigDig said:
Ah okay, so I would just take the sum of each efficiency for the total ...
Nope. If process A is 60% efficient and process B is 50 % efficient the sum would be ... 110%? How do you think the overall efficiency works for two efficiencies in tandem? Should it be more than either one, in between the two or less than either one? Give the matter some thought.

kuruman said:
How do you think the overall efficiency works for two efficiencies in tandem? Should it be more than either one, in between the two or less than either one? Give the matter some thought.
I'm thinking it should be somewhere in between the two since one process is more efficient than the other. I've done a bit of further reading and found that total efficiencies are given by the product of component efficiencies. This gives me
[tex]\frac{5600-750}{5600}\times\frac{750-300}{750} \approx 52\%[/tex]
So then by this calculation, [tex]\frac{\eta}{2} \approx 26\% \quad \frac{\eta}{3} \approx 17\%[/tex]
I hope my reasoning is correct.

Source:https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee102/node/1944

TheBigDig said:
I'm thinking it should be somewhere in between the two since one process is more efficient than the other.
Think again. Both efficiencies are less than unity. The combined efficiency is the product ##\eta_{comb.}=\eta_1 \times \eta_2.## Say ##\eta_2## is the smaller of the two efficiencies. Can ##\eta_{comb.}## be greater than ##\eta_2##?

Hey,
I was able to find some further information on the problem and I believe this to be the correct solution
[tex]\eta = \bigg(1-\big(\frac{T_{res}}{T_{Sun}}\big)^4\bigg)\bigg(1-\big(\frac{T_{sink}}{T_{res}}\big)\bigg) = 59\%[/tex].
This result is less than the individual efficiencies of each system
[tex]\eta_1 = 99\% \quad \eta_2 = 60\%[/tex]

1. What is the efficiency of a steam power plant?

The efficiency of a steam power plant is the ratio of the plant's output power to its input power. It is usually expressed as a percentage and can vary depending on the design and operating conditions of the plant.

2. How is the efficiency of a steam power plant calculated?

The efficiency of a steam power plant can be calculated by dividing the net power output by the total energy input. The net power output is the electricity generated by the plant, while the total energy input includes the fuel energy and any other energy used to power the plant.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a steam power plant?

Several factors can impact the efficiency of a steam power plant, including the type and quality of fuel used, the design and condition of the plant's components, and the operating temperature and pressure of the steam. Additionally, the efficiency can also be affected by external factors such as weather conditions and maintenance practices.

4. How can the efficiency of a steam power plant be improved?

The efficiency of a steam power plant can be improved by using higher quality fuel, implementing advanced technologies and designs, and regularly maintaining and optimizing the plant's components. Additionally, improvements in the combustion process and waste heat recovery can also contribute to increased efficiency.

5. Why is the efficiency of a steam power plant important?

The efficiency of a steam power plant is important because it directly affects the cost and environmental impact of electricity generation. A higher efficiency means less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of electricity, resulting in lower operating costs and reduced emissions. It is also a key factor in ensuring the sustainability and competitiveness of the power plant in the long term.