Efficiency of the Rankine Cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done by turbines and pumps in a Rankine cycle, as well as the difference in enthalpy at various points. A correction is made to the starting equation and the importance of considering signs in the calculation is highlighted. The source of the error is identified and the correct understanding is clarified.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
A power plant operates on the Rankine cycle sketched below. The enthalpies at the four states marked 1,2,3 and 4 are:
h1 = 1200 kJ/kg, h2 = 2700kJ/kg, h3 = 1800kJ/kg, h4 = 130kJ/kg
If the overall efficiency of the cycle is 31%, calculate the enthalpy at point 5. Hence calculate the work ratio rw
Relevant Equations
[tex]\eta = \frac{W_T-W_P}{Q} = \frac{(h_3-h_2)-(h_5-h_4)}{h_4-h_3}[/tex]
[tex]r_w = \frac{W_T-W_P}{W_T}[/tex]
WT, the work done by the turbines, as the difference in enthalpy from point 2 to point 3
WP, the work done by the pumps as the difference in enthalpy from point 4 to point 5
Q as the difference in enthalpy from point 3 to point 4

Taking these I get h5 = -252.3kJ/kg. However, my work ratio is larger than 1 and negative. Also I'm not entirely sure what a negative enthalpy represents physically.

I was working from this source here: https://www.nuclear-power.net/nucle...y-of-rankine-cycle-equations-and-calculation/

Physics news on Phys.org
Your starting equation is incorrect. It should read:
$$\eta=\frac{(h_2-h_3)-(h_5-h_4)}{(h_2-h_5)}$$The heat added Q is ##h_2-h_5##. The heat removed in the condenser is ##h_3-h_4##. You also had the wrong sign on the work done by the turbine.

Thanks so much! Will try that out asap

TheBigDig said:
Thanks so much! Will try that out asap
Good. But do you see where you erred?

Chestermiller said:
Good. But do you see where you erred?
Yes, I had been blindly following the source I quoted but when I put a bit of thought into why it was wrong it was obvious.
4-> 5 the water is getting pumped at a high pressure (q = 0)
2->5 is where heat energy is added to the system to raise the temperature at a constant pressure (w = 0)
2->3 is an expansion through the turbine (q = 0)

1. What is the Rankine Cycle and how does it work?

The Rankine Cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used to convert heat into mechanical work. It is commonly used in steam power plants and consists of four main components: a boiler, turbine, condenser, and pump. The cycle works by heating water in the boiler to create steam, which then expands in the turbine to produce work. The steam is then condensed back into liquid form in the condenser and pumped back into the boiler to repeat the cycle.

2. What is the efficiency of the Rankine Cycle?

The efficiency of the Rankine Cycle depends on various factors such as the operating temperature and pressure, as well as the quality of the components used. In general, the efficiency of the cycle can range from 30-45%, with newer and more advanced power plants achieving efficiencies up to 50%.

3. How can the efficiency of the Rankine Cycle be improved?

The efficiency of the Rankine Cycle can be improved by using higher temperature and pressure levels, as well as utilizing advanced technologies such as superheaters and reheaters. Additionally, using more efficient pumps and turbines can also contribute to improving the overall efficiency of the cycle.

4. What are the main limitations of the Rankine Cycle?

One of the main limitations of the Rankine Cycle is the relatively low efficiency compared to other thermodynamic cycles. This is due to the fact that the cycle relies on the use of water, which has a low boiling point and therefore limits the temperature and pressure levels that can be achieved. Another limitation is the amount of energy lost in the condenser, which can significantly affect the overall efficiency of the cycle.

5. How does the Rankine Cycle compare to other thermodynamic cycles?

The Rankine Cycle is one of the most commonly used thermodynamic cycles in power generation, along with the Carnot Cycle and the Brayton Cycle. Each cycle has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of cycle depends on the specific requirements and conditions of the power plant. However, the Rankine Cycle is generally preferred due to its versatility and ability to be used with a variety of fuels, as well as its relatively low cost and proven reliability.