Efficiency prediction (minimum versus average)

In summary, the efficiency of a light source for treating plants is determined by its electro-optical efficiency and the receptiveness of each plant type to the light. The total efficiency is the product of these two efficiencies. Some research papers suggest that the efficiency of the system is the minimum of the two efficiencies, but no statistical justifications are provided. It may be more beneficial to use the average value instead, as it would give a measure of the effect on both plants.
roam
I am trying to determine the efficiency of a light source for treating plants. When using the light source, there is an equal probability of encountering two different plant species.

The light source has a certain electro-optical efficiency ##\eta_{\text{eo}}##. And each plant type has a different receptiveness (i.e. absorbance) to the light ##\eta_{\text{a}}##. So, the total efficiency of the process will be the product of the two efficiencies:

$$\eta_{\text{total}}=\eta_{\text{eo}}.\eta_{\text{a}} \tag{1}$$

Some research papers that I have read predict the efficiency of such a system to be the minimum of the two efficiencies:

$$\eta_{\text{total}}=\min\left(\eta_{\text{eo}}\eta_{\text{a}_{1}},\ \eta_{\text{eo}}\eta_{\text{a}_{2}}\right). \tag{2}$$

where the subscripts denote the plant type. However, the authors did not provide any statistical justifications for that.

So, what could be the reasoning for this? Is it not better to use the average value instead? i.e.,

$$\eta_{\text{total}}=\eta_{\text{eo}}.\left(\frac{\eta_{\text{a}_{1}}+\eta_{\text{a}_{2}}}{2}\right).$$

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
Some research papers that I have read predict the efficiency of such a system to be the minimum of the two efficiencies:
Can you link to the papers?

It appears to me that the authors want to stress the effect on both plants, so the minimum gives a measure of the effect on both.

Likes roam

1. What is the difference between minimum and average efficiency prediction?

The minimum efficiency prediction refers to the lowest possible efficiency that can be achieved based on certain conditions, while the average efficiency prediction takes into account variations in those conditions and predicts the average efficiency that is likely to be achieved.

2. How is efficiency prediction calculated?

Efficiency prediction is calculated by taking into account various factors such as the type of system, operating conditions, and performance data. It involves using mathematical models and algorithms to make a prediction based on these factors.

3. Can efficiency prediction be accurate?

While efficiency prediction is based on calculations and scientific models, it is not always 100% accurate. There can be variations in real-world conditions that can affect the efficiency of a system, making the prediction an estimate rather than an exact measurement.

4. Why is efficiency prediction important?

Efficiency prediction is important because it allows us to estimate the performance of a system before it is built or implemented. This can help in making informed decisions about the design and operation of a system, and can also help in identifying areas for improvement.

5. How can efficiency prediction be improved?

Efficiency prediction can be improved by using more accurate and detailed models, considering a wider range of operating conditions, and incorporating real-world data into the calculations. It is an ongoing process that can be refined and improved over time with the help of advanced technology and research.