Efficient CMOS Comparator Circuit for PWM Experiments with Sawtooth Generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a CMOS comparator for a sawtooth wave generator. The PMOS transistors M3 and M4 are used in a saturation-load NMOS setup to create a constant current source. The voltage inputs Vsaw and Vin control the operating region of M3 and M4. M5 and M6 also serve as constant current sources, and the output is controlled by the current through M4. M10 serves as a current source for the output stage. The user is seeking further understanding and resources for the basics of this circuit.
wendys888
I have been experimenting with PWM circuits and I came across this CMOS comparator that seems to work well with the sawtooth generator I am using. I feed a sawtooth wave to the gate of the PMOS M3 transistor and the reference voltage I am comparing to Vin the PMOS M4.

I noticed that the PMOS's M9 and M1 are in a saturation-load NMOS setup. If I recall correctly this means they are both operating in the saturation region which generates a constant current source.

Vsaw and Vin seem to be controlling which region M3 and M4 will be operating in.

Can anyone help me in understanding the rest of this or if I completely off can someone explain to me how this is operating?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 553
Engineering news on Phys.org
Notice that M5, M6 are also a constant current source. As Vsaw and Vin vary, the current sharing of M4, M5 shifts; that is, the sum of the current thru M4, M5 stays the same but more current will flow thru one or the other depending on their Gate voltages.

Since the output stage, M7,8,11, is controlled by M4, the output depends on the current thru M4.

M10 is just a current source for M7.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/circuit-jpg.66076/

1. What is a CMOS comparator circuit?

A CMOS comparator circuit is an electronic circuit that compares two input voltages and produces an output based on which input is larger. It is used to make decisions and control other electronic components.

2. How does a CMOS comparator circuit work?

A CMOS comparator circuit works by using a combination of transistors and resistors to compare the two input voltages. When one input is higher than the other, the corresponding transistor switches on and produces an output signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a CMOS comparator circuit?

Some advantages of using a CMOS comparator circuit include low power consumption, high speed, and small size. It also has a wide input voltage range and can operate in both analog and digital systems.

4. What are some common applications of CMOS comparator circuits?

CMOS comparator circuits are commonly used in electronics to compare and control signals in amplifiers, oscillators, and digital-to-analog converters. They are also used in voltage level detectors, voltage references, and battery charge monitors.

5. How can I improve the performance of a CMOS comparator circuit?

To improve the performance of a CMOS comparator circuit, you can use precision components, such as resistors and capacitors, to reduce errors and improve accuracy. You can also add hysteresis to make the circuit more stable and reduce noise. Additionally, you can optimize the layout and minimize parasitic effects to improve overall performance.