Efficient Method for Finding Units in Number Theory Rings (Z12, ⊗, ⊕)

In summary, to find all units in the ring ##(Z_{12}, \otimes, \oplus)##, one must find numbers that are relatively prime to 12, including 1. This leads to the set 1, 5, 7, 11. The Euclidean algorithm can be used to determine if a candidate number is invertible in ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}##, but it may be time consuming for large numbers. Additionally, knowing the definition of a unit can help reduce the amount of work needed to find all units.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
Consider the ring ##(Z_{12}, \otimes, \oplus)##

Find all units.

The attempt
I know that I am supposed to find units u such that ##gcd(12,u)=1##

But how do I do it the easiest way? I am not very keen to draw a multiplication table, calculate the terms and search where the multiplicative products are ##1##. I am neither interested in trying each value for ##u## from ##0## to ##11## and plop them inside the expression above and calculate the ##gcd## (to see if it matches ##1##) for every case using the Euclid's algorithm.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like i am just looking for the primes in the range ]0,12[ thus
1, 3, 5, 7, 11 should seal the deal, right?

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Rectifier said:
Looks like i am just looking for the primes in the range ]0,12[ thus
1, 3, 5, 7, 11 should seal the deal, right?
Actually, 3 is not relatively prime to 12. Also, 2 is a prime, but not in your list, and rightfully so.

... And by the way; 1 is not a prime, but yes, gcd(12, 1) = 1 .

Rectifier said:
The problem
Consider the ring ##(Z_{12}, \otimes, \oplus)##

Find all units.

The attempt
I know that I am supposed to find units u such that ##gcd(12,u)=1##

But how do I do it the easiest way? I am not very keen to draw a multiplication table, calculate the terms and search where the multiplicative products are ##1##. I am neither interested in trying each value for ##u## from ##0## to ##11## and plop them inside the expression above and calculate the ##gcd## (to see if it matches ##1##) for every case using the Euclid's algorithm.

Any suggestions?
What are the prime factors of 12?

Choose numbers which do not have any of those as prime factors.

You are asking for a simple method, where you plug in a number ##n##, say ##n=2650755587110239046731## and all ##u## with ##gcd(n,u)=1## pop out. The only way to do it, is to write a program that does it. But even with such a program you will get into (time) trouble for really big ##n##. Given a candidate ##u##, say ##u=35946720007965521## the Euclidean algorithm is the way to find out, whether ##u## is invertible in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##. And it is a fast algorithm.

For homework help and the general learning experience, try to include the definitions of the terms you are working with. This is beneficial to those helping you, but also the more often you state the definition, the more likely you will remember it for a test or project.

Regarding the "easist way". Note that if you write down the definition of a unit, the multiplicative inverse of the unit is also a unit. (WHY?) That should cut your work in half.

You're looking for numbers that are co-prime to 12, including 1. This leaves you with the set 1, 5, 7, 11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_(ring_theory)

Finding the prime factors of a large number n is time consuming, but should be faster than searching for all numbers i for 2 to n-1 where gcd(n,i) = 1 via Euclid method.

fresh_42 said:
Given a candidate ##u##, say ##u=35946720007965521## the Euclidean algorithm is the way to find out, whether ##u## is invertible in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##. And it is a fast algorithm.
Worst case for Euclidean algorithm are two successive Fibonacci numbers, fib(i), fib(i+1), which will take i-1 iterations. If u is large, it will take u x L iterations to find all the "units", where L is average the number of iterations to find gcd(u, i) (for i = 2 to u-1).

thelema418 said:
Note that if you write down the definition of a unit, the multiplicative inverse of the unit is also a unit. (WHY?) That should cut your work in half.
Note that inverse of 5 mod 12 is 5, 7 mod 12 is 7, 11 mod 12 is 11, so it doesn't always cut your work in half.

Last edited:

Related to Efficient Method for Finding Units in Number Theory Rings (Z12, ⊗, ⊕)

1. What is a number theory ring?

A number theory ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, a binary operation for combining elements (usually denoted by ⊕), and a unary operation for multiplying elements (usually denoted by ⊗). The most well-known example of a number theory ring is the set of integers, denoted by Z, with the addition operation (+) and multiplication operation (x).

2. What is the purpose of finding units in number theory rings?

The units in a number theory ring are elements that have a multiplicative inverse, meaning that when multiplied by another element in the ring, the result is the identity element (usually denoted by 1). Finding units is important in number theory as it allows for the simplification of equations and the ability to solve certain problems more efficiently.

3. How do you find units in a number theory ring?

To find units in a number theory ring, you can use the Euclidean algorithm, which is an efficient method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two elements. If the GCD of two elements is 1, then those elements are considered to be units in the ring.

4. Can the efficient method for finding units be applied to any number theory ring?

Yes, the efficient method for finding units can be applied to any number theory ring, as long as the ring has a binary operation for addition and a unary operation for multiplication. However, the specific implementation of the method may vary depending on the structure of the ring.

5. How can finding units in a number theory ring be useful in real-world applications?

Finding units in number theory rings has numerous real-world applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. In cryptography, the units of a number theory ring are used to create encryption algorithms that are difficult to break. In coding theory, units are used to create error-correcting codes that can efficiently detect and correct errors in data transmission. In computer science, units are used in algorithms for optimizing and solving various problems efficiently.