Multi-event probability puzzle - is my answer correct?

musicgold
Homework Statement
Is there a more elegant / efficient way to solve this puzzle? See the attached puzzle.
Relevant Equations
At the end of all three 3 moves, the bags should contain:
Bag B: B, B, O, + G/V/Y
Bag A: remaining balls
Here is my attempt.
Beginning state:
Bag B : B, B, O
Bag A : R, R, G, V, Y

Final state:
Bag B: B, B, O, + G/V/Y
Bag A: remaining balls

First possible exchange that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 1: P ( Arjun moves either the green, violet, or yellow ball to bag B) = 3/5
Move 2. P ( Becca moves one black ball to bag A ) = 2/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves the black ball to bag B ) = 1/5
P (exchange 1)= 3/5 x 2/4 x 1/5 = 3/50

Second possible move that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 1: P ( Arjun moves one red ball to bag B) = 2/5
Move 2. P ( Becca moves the red ball to bag A ) = 1/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves either the green, violet, or yellow ball to bag B ) = 3/5
P(exchange 2) = 3/5 x 2/4 x 1/5 = 3/50

P ( exchange 1 OR exchange 2) = 3/50+ 3/50 = 3/25
2023-12-26 07 57 10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure those are the only possibilities?

Likes musicgold
PeroK said:
Are you sure those are the only possibilities?
Ah...

Third possible exchange that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 1: P ( Arjun moves either the green, violet, or yellow ball to bag B) = 3/5
Move 2. P ( Becca moves the orange ball to bag A ) = 1/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves the orange ball to bag B ) = 1/5
P (exchange 3)= 3/5 x 1/4 x 1/5 = 3/100

Fourth possible exchange that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 1: P ( Arjun moves either G/V/Y ball to bag B) = 3/5
Move 2. P ( Becca moves the G/V/Y ball to bag A ) = 1/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves either G/V/Y ball to bag B ) = 3/5
P (exchange 4)= 3/5 x 1/4 x 3/5 = 9/100

P ( exchange 1 OR exchange 2 OR exchange 3 OR exchange 4 ) = 6/100+ 6/100+ 3/100 + 9/100 = 6/25 ?

Any better way of solving this without missing any possible exchanges in the first place?

Thanks

The only idea I have is to note that we have six different colours, with two duplicates. If we have three different colours in a bag, then we must have a d pair of duplicates plus two others. The final configuration must have two B's in one bag and two R's in the other.

As only one ball is taken from bag B, then we must leave the two black balls alone.

Likewise, we either leave the two red balls alone, or move one back and forward.

And, if we leave the red balls alone, it doesn't matter which of the others we choose.

Likes musicgold
A black ball can move out of bag 2, then back in, if a "non red" ball was moved in first.

Likes SammyS and PeroK
There is some symmetry here. You can waste a pair of moves at the start, RR, or a pair at the end, BB. There are three options for the third move.
The only other sequences consist of leaving the reds and blacks alone, 3x2x3.

Likes bob012345
musicgold said:
Ah...

Third possible exchange that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 2. P ( Becca moves the orange ball to bag A ) = 1/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves the orange ball to bag B ) = 1/5
P (exchange 3)= 3/5 x 1/4 x 1/5 = 3/100

Fourth possible exchange that would have exactly 3 different colors in each bag is:
Move 1: P ( Arjun moves either G/V/Y ball to bag B) = 3/5
Move 2. P ( Becca moves the G/V/Y ball to bag A ) = 1/4
Move 3. P ( Arjun moves either G/V/Y ball to bag B ) = 3/5
P (exchange 4)= 3/5 x 1/4 x 3/5 = 9/100

P ( exchange 1 OR exchange 2 OR exchange 3 OR exchange 4 ) = 6/100+ 6/100+ 3/100 + 9/100 = 6/25 ?

Any better way of solving this without missing any possible exchanges in the first place?

Thanks
If you are still interested, I think you missed some cases in the third possible exchange.

bob012345 said:
If you are still interested, I think you missed some cases in the third possible exchange.
Yes, I'm not sure whether @musicgold realised that post #6 leads to a higher number than 6/25.

Likes bob012345

1. How do I calculate multi-event probability?

To calculate multi-event probability, you multiply the probabilities of each event together. For example, if event A has a probability of 0.5 and event B has a probability of 0.3, the probability of both events A and B occurring is 0.5 * 0.3 = 0.15.

2. What is the formula for calculating multi-event probability?

The formula for calculating multi-event probability is P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B), where P(A) is the probability of event A and P(B) is the probability of event B. This formula can be extended to more than two events by multiplying the probabilities of each event together.

3. Can multi-event probability be greater than 1?

No, multi-event probability cannot be greater than 1. The maximum probability of an event occurring is 1, so the probability of multiple events occurring together cannot exceed 1.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in multi-event probability?

In independent events, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. In dependent events, the outcome of one event affects the outcome of another event. When calculating multi-event probability, it is important to consider whether the events are independent or dependent.

5. How can I check if my answer to a multi-event probability puzzle is correct?

To check if your answer to a multi-event probability puzzle is correct, you can verify that your calculations are accurate and that you have considered all possible outcomes. You can also use simulations or online calculators to double-check your answer.