Efficient Viscous Fluid Degassing Techniques for Epoxy Resin: Tips from Experts

In summary, the conversation is about using epoxies and silicone oils and the problem of bubbles forming in the resin. The speaker has tried using a heat gun to eliminate surface bubbles but is having trouble with bubbles at the bottom of the mold. They are seeking advice on how to degas the resin and are wondering if buying a vacuum vessel is the only solution. Other participants in the conversation suggest using thin layers and rollers/brushes to eliminate bubbles, as well as considering a pressure vessel for degassing. A resource is also shared for further information on degassing resins.
Buchimuer
Hi all!

I'm currently working with epoxies and very viscous silicone oils.
The problem is when I mixing the two part epoxy, there will be a lot of bubbles in the resin. I managed using heat gun to break air bubbles near the surface, but the bubble at bottom of the mold cannot flow up.
I know you all have lots of experience with epoxy, would you please give me some advise for degassing the epoxy resin? Is buying an vacuum vessel be the only solution?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't have much time after the catalyst is mixed. Eliminating the bubbles while in the pot might take too much time.

In boat construction, the epoxy is first applied in thin layers. Then rollers and brushes eliminate the bubbles.

Likes Buchimuer

1. What is viscous fluid degassing?

Viscous fluid degassing is the process of removing dissolved gases from a liquid with high viscosity. This is typically done to improve the quality or functionality of the liquid, such as in the case of oil refining or creating certain types of adhesives.

2. How is viscous fluid degassing achieved?

Viscous fluid degassing is achieved through a variety of methods, such as heating, vacuum degassing, or agitation. These methods work to reduce the surface tension of the liquid, allowing the dissolved gases to escape more easily.

3. What are the benefits of viscous fluid degassing?

Viscous fluid degassing can improve the stability, appearance, and performance of a liquid. It can also prevent issues such as foaming or discoloration. In some cases, it can also increase the shelf life of a product.

4. What types of liquids require viscous fluid degassing?

Viscous fluid degassing is commonly used for liquids with high viscosities, such as oils, resins, and adhesives. However, it can also be used for lower viscosity liquids, such as water or alcohol, if they contain dissolved gases that need to be removed.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to viscous fluid degassing?

One potential drawback of viscous fluid degassing is that it can be a time-consuming and energy-intensive process. It may also require specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, some delicate liquids may be susceptible to damage during the degassing process.