Effusion and setting up the calculus problem

In summary, the pressure in a cylinder decreases at a rate proportional to atmospheric pressure - Pa over the time it takes for the pressure to drop to 1% of its initial value. The equation for the rate of decrease of pressure is found to be proportional to the initial pressure - Pa, and a constant, A, is found that determines the final pressure. The solution to the differential equation is found to be P=Aexp(-\alpha t)+P_o, and the time it takes for the pressure to reach this value is found to be 9.7 days.
jmartin54321

Homework Statement

Gas escapes from a leaky cylinder so that the rate of decrease of pressure in the cylinder is proportional to P - Patm where P is the pressure in the cylinder and Patm is atmospheric pressure (1.0 atm). The initial pressure in the cylinder is 1.1 x 103 atm. If the rate of pressure decrease is 0.28 atm/min when the pressure in the cylinder is 8.5 x 102 atm, how many days will it take the pressure in the cylinder to drop to 1% of its initial value?

Homework Equations

dp/dt is proportional to P - Patm

The Attempt at a Solution

This appears to be a simple problem where my challenge is simply to set up the calculus problem to solve, however, I am having trouble with this. The rate of the effusion of the gas from the leak is connected to the amount of the gas still in the cylinder less 1 atm. The one data point given in the problem should allow me to determine some sort of constant of proportionality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say where your trouble is, as the problem looks quite straightforward. And yes, all your remarks about what should be done look right.

I would find how much gas would have to leak for the final conditions to be met and figure out how long it takes for this to happen

What is the differential equation that you wrote down to solve this problem? This seems more like a math problem than a chemistry problem.

Chet

I get a reasonably good answer for this problem. You should be able to compute the proportionality constant ## \alpha ## with the information given. (P=850, dP/dt=-.28 atm/min). Question is, what did you get for the solution to your differential equation, using this ## \alpha ## ? There is one additional constant in the homogeneous solution of the differential equation, (along with the particular solution), that is determined by the initial pressure.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I get a reasonably good answer for this problem. You should be able to compute the proportionality constant ## \alpha ## with the information given. (P=850, dP/dt=-.28 atm/min). Question is, what did you get for the solution to your differential equation, using this ## \alpha ## ? There is one additional constant in the homogeneous solution of the differential equation, (along with the particular solution), that is determined by the initial pressure.
We're still waiting for the OP to respond. It's been almost a week since he's been seen. We shouldn't hold our breath.

Chestermiller said:
We're still waiting for the OP to respond. It's been almost a week since he's been seen. We shouldn't hold our breath.
It was still a fun problem to calculate. The effusion rate calculation was kind of interesting.

Charles Link said:
It was still a fun problem to calculate. The effusion rate calculation was kind of interesting.
Why don't we wait a couple of more days (say until Tues), and, if we still haven't heard back from the OP, feel free to present your solution. As a Mentor, I give you a dispensation to do so.

Chet

Likes Charles Link
Per Chestermiller's permission above, I will present the solution. It really is a very good application of first order differential equation principles. It makes for a good review of the concepts, even for those who have a solid mathematics background.
The differential equation for the system is ## dP/dt= - \alpha (P-P_o) ## where ## P_o ##=1 atm
Given that ## dP/dt ##=-.28 atm/min when ## P=## 850 atm, we find ## \alpha=.28/849 ##
The first order (inhomogeneous) differential equation ## dP/dt+\alpha P=\alpha P_o ## has a simple particular solution ## P=P_o ##
We need to include the solution to the homogeneous equation ## dP/dt + \alpha P=0 ## which is ## P=Aexp(-\alpha t) ## where A is a constant (comes from ## dP/P=-\alpha dt ## so that ## \ln P=-\alpha t +C ## where C is a constant. This gives ## P=Aexp(-\alpha t) ## where A is a constant ) The full solution is ## P=Aexp(-\alpha t)+P_o ## and at t=0, ## P## =1100 atm. This gives us ## A ## =1099 atm.
The problem asks us to find the time t when the pressure is 1 % of its initial value, so we need to find t for ## P## =11 atm. 11=1099*exp(-\alpha t)+1 This gives ## t= \ln(1099/(11-1))*849/.28 ## =1.40 E+4 minutes/((60*24)minutes/day) =9.7 days. Hopefully my arithmetic is correct. I welcome your feedback.

Likes Chestermiller

What is effusion?

Effusion is the process by which a gas escapes through a small opening into a vacuum or lower pressure region. This can be observed in everyday life, such as when a balloon deflates over time.

What is the relationship between effusion and gas pressure?

The rate of effusion is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas. This means that as the gas pressure increases, the rate of effusion also increases.

How is the rate of effusion calculated?

The rate of effusion can be calculated using Graham's law, which states that the rate of effusion is inversely proportional to the square root of the molar mass of the gas. The equation for this is: rate1/rate2 = √(molar mass2/molar mass1).

How is a calculus problem set up for effusion?

In a calculus problem involving effusion, the first step is to identify the variables involved, such as pressure, volume, and rate of effusion. Then, use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable.

Why is effusion important in chemistry?

Effusion is important in chemistry because it is a fundamental process that helps us understand the behavior of gases. It is also used in various industries, such as the production of compressed gases, to control the rate of gas release. Additionally, studying effusion can provide insight into the properties of different gases and their behavior under different conditions.