Knudson Effusion between two gasses

In summary, two chambers of ideal gas at different temperatures are initially connected by a wide tube, resulting in equalized pressure. When the tube is removed and a small hole is opened in the insulating wall, the gas will flow from the colder chamber to the hotter chamber due to the higher flux from cold to hot. This is because the colder gas particles hit the sides more often, resulting in a higher effusion rate.
Robsta

Homework Statement

Consider two chambers of equal volume separated by an insulating wall and containing an ideal gas, maintained at temperatures T1 = 225K and T2 = 400K. Initially the two chambers are connected by a long tube whose diameter is much larger than the mean free path in either chamber and equilibrium is established (while maintaining T1 and T2). Then the tube is removed, the chambers are sealed but a small hole is opened in the insulating wall, with diameter that is much less than the mean free path.

In what direction will the gas flow through the small hole? Why?

Homework Equations

I know that effusion rate (number of particles moving through a small hole of unit area per unit time) is p/sqrt(2πmkT)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I figure that when the wide pipe is attached, the pressure in the two tanks is equal. But then when they're sealed and a small hole is punched, then the respective particle fluxes from each tank will be

Φ1->2=p/sqrt(2πmkT1) and Φ2->1=p/sqrt(2πmkT2)

So if the pressures are equal then the flux from the colder tank to the warmer tank will be higher? This doesn't make much sense to me. Can anybody explain to me why my calculations are wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is ignoring the equalized pressure:
which gas is denser?
which gas hits its wall with softer impact?
which gas hits the (or the opening in the wall) more often? (I'm not asking which hits faster ...)

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, am I right or wrong that the pipe equalises the pressure?

Once the pipe is disconnected, the higher temperature gas has a lower density. It has more energetic particles though so this balances it out and keeps the pressure equal. The higher temperature tank hits the sides harder per hit. I think the cooler gas hits the sides more often.

Yes. The first pipe is big Area, so will equalize pressure in very short time.

The hot ones hit harder, so they need to hit less often. => cold ones "hit" the small hole more often.
isn't that what your calculation showed?

Yes, it is. So the colder ones hit more often, so the gas effuses from the colder container into the hotter container since the flux from cold to hot is more than the flux from hot to cold.

What is Knudson Effusion?

Knudson Effusion is a scientific phenomenon that describes the flow of gas molecules through a small opening between two chambers at different pressures.

What causes Knudson Effusion?

Knudson Effusion is caused by the difference in partial pressure between the two chambers. Gas molecules will naturally move from a higher pressure area to a lower pressure area until the pressures equalize.

How is Knudson Effusion measured?

Knudson Effusion is typically measured by using a device called a Knudson effusion cell, which consists of two chambers connected by a small opening and a pressure gauge to measure the pressure difference between the two chambers.

What factors affect Knudson Effusion?

The factors that affect Knudson Effusion include the size of the opening between the chambers, the difference in pressure between the chambers, and the temperature of the gas molecules. Higher temperatures and larger pressure differences will result in a faster effusion rate.

What are the practical applications of Knudson Effusion?

Knudson Effusion has important applications in fields such as gas separation, vacuum technology, and leak detection. It can also be used to study the properties of gas molecules and their behavior under different pressures and temperatures.