EI Core electromagnet questions

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an EI-core electromagnet with coils on the top and bottom legs, and the option of using iron, steel, or ferrite. The questions raised include the possibility of making the core in two c-shaped halves and joining them, using laminations or solid iron blocks, and the specifications of the power supply and application. The use of ferrite is discouraged due to its fragility and laminations are deemed unnecessary for this DC electromagnet. Further details and specifications are needed in order to provide useful advice.
pvonlock
Hello. I am trying to design an EI-core electromagnet (think two c-shaped cores with their gaps abutting). The coils would go on the top and bottom legs of the E (legs B and C in my sketch). There is a sketchbelow and you can find one here: http://www.everychina.com/m-ei-core?cpc_kw=ei core lamination&cpc_flag=c66082

I had a few questions

1. does anyone foresee any problem with making it in two c-shaped halves (1/2 A+C+1/2 D and its mirror on B) then joining the two?

2. Would it be better to make it as an E and an I and join them? If so, why?

3. I have the chance to make this out of iron or steel, and maybe ferrite. It's being run DC so my thought was iron (relatively cheap, good permeability, and customizable). Does anyone foresee problems with iron?

Thanks to all.

A
++++++++++++
+ ++ +
B + Gap + C
+ ++ +
++++++++++++
D

Engineering news on Phys.org
An electromagnet needs a gap that will close, or somewhere for the magnetic field to get out to attract a nearby object. You know what you want but we are not mind readers and cannot guess the details needed to usefully advise you. Draw a sketch of your core, show where your windings will be placed and where the magnetic field will flow to attract whatever.

Ferrite is not good for electromagnets because it will shatter if hit by some attracted object.
Laminations are only needed for AC transformers or high speed magnets.

How quickly do you need to turn the magnet on, and how long to turn the field off ?
Why are you using laminations when you could use solid iron blocks bolted together ?
What size dimension is your design ?
What power supply will you use to power the magnet. Voltage ? maximum current ?
How will you control the magnet current ?
What is the application of this electromagnet ?

Likes davenn and BvU

1. What is an EI core electromagnet?

An EI core electromagnet is a type of electromagnet that is constructed with a core made of laminated sheets of iron or steel in the shape of an "E" and "I". This core is then surrounded by a coil of wire that carries an electric current, creating a magnetic field.

2. How does an EI core electromagnet work?

An EI core electromagnet works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an electric current is passed through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with the iron or steel core, creating a stronger magnetic field. This process allows the electromagnet to attract or repel objects, depending on the direction of the current.

3. What are the advantages of using an EI core electromagnet?

Some advantages of using an EI core electromagnet include its high strength, compact size, and low cost. EI core electromagnets are also highly efficient and can be easily controlled with the use of a variable power supply. Additionally, the laminated core design helps to reduce energy losses and noise.

4. What are some common applications of EI core electromagnets?

EI core electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in electric motors, relays, solenoid valves, and transformers. They are also used in various industrial and scientific processes, such as in magnetic separation, magnetic levitation, and particle accelerators.

5. How can I determine the strength of an EI core electromagnet?

The strength of an EI core electromagnet can be determined by factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the size of the core, and the amount of current passing through the coil. The strength can also be measured using a gaussmeter, which measures the magnetic field strength in units of Gauss or Tesla.