How Do You Compute the Matrix Representation and Check for Eigenbasis?

In summary: You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. In summary, for each of the following linear operators T on a vector space V and ordered bases beta, compute [T]beta, and determine whether beta is a basis conisting of eigen vectors of T.
Punkyc7
For each of the following linear operators T on a vector space V and ordered bases beta, compute [T]beta, and determine whether beta is a basis conisting of eigen vectors of T.

V=R^2, T((a,b)^t)= (10a-6b
17a-10b)

and beta ={(1,2)^t , (2,3)^t)

im using transpose because I am not sure how to make thenbe vectors going down

My question is how do you do it. My back doesn't give any example on how to these types of problems. I thought of using e1 and e2 but that doesn't get me the answer in the back of the book and i tried plugging in the basis but that didnt work.

If it helps the answer for [T]beta =(02
-10)
but i have no idea how they got that

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PunkyC7! :smile:

What is [T]beta? Is it the matrix of T with respect to beta?

If so, then denote beta={x,y}. You will have to calculate T(x) and T(y) and write these things as a linear combination of x and y. Then you need to put it into a matrix.

If it isn't clear, I'll give an example.

yeah its with respect to beta

so if you plug in our first beta we get (-2,-3)^t do we set that equal to x(1,2)+y(2,3)?

Punkyc7 said:
yeah its with respect to beta

so if you plug in our first beta we get (-2,-3)^t do we set that equal to x(1,2)+y(2,3)?

Well, you want to find x and y such that (2,3)=(x+2y,2x+3y). This is a system of two equations and two unknowns...

so that's how they go (0,-1) ok
so know do you know if it consists of eigen vectors

Well, what is an eigenvector?

an eigen vector is a vector is a vector in V that is non zero such that T(v)=lamdav where lamda is the eigen value

Indeed, so is T(1,2) from the form lambda*(1,2)?

no i guess not so, since we don't have any other vector to make it span R^2 there is know reason to check the other right

Certain? What is T(1,2) in terms of (1,2) and (2,3)?

x=0
y=-1

So T(1,2)=-(2,3), so this indeed means that you won't have a basis of eigenvectors!

why does it mean it?

Because T(1,2) is not a multiple from (1,2). That is T(1,2)=-(2,3), and thus not T(1,2)=lambda*(1,2)...

You can express e1 = <1,0> and e2 = <0,1> in terms of beta[1] and beta[2]. Then anything of the form a*e1 + b*e2 can be re-written as a linear combination of beta[1] and beta[2].

RGV

Related to How Do You Compute the Matrix Representation and Check for Eigenbasis?

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra to describe the behavior of a linear transformation. An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which an eigenvector is scaled when it is transformed by a linear transformation. The eigenvector is a vector that remains in the same direction after the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of a square matrix. The characteristic polynomial is obtained by subtracting the identity matrix multiplied by a scalar from the original matrix and finding the determinant of the resulting matrix. The eigenvectors can then be found by solving the system of linear equations formed by setting the characteristic polynomial equal to zero.

3. What are the applications of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many applications in science and engineering. They are used in image and signal processing, quantum mechanics, and data compression. They are also used in machine learning algorithms, such as principal component analysis, to reduce the dimensionality of data and extract important features.

4. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In fact, complex eigenvalues often arise in real-world applications, such as in quantum mechanics and electrical engineering. Complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be represented as a linear combination of real and imaginary components.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix provide important information about the behavior and properties of the matrix. They can be used to determine the stability of a system, the direction of greatest change in a transformation, and the relationship between different variables in a dataset. They also play a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and diagonalizing matrices.