Eigenfunction proof and eigenvalue

In summary, an eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, produces a scalar multiple of itself. An eigenvalue is the scalar value that is multiplied by the eigenfunction when operated on by a linear operator. To prove that a function is an eigenfunction, you must show that it produces a scalar multiple of itself when operated on by the linear operator. Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are important in mathematics and science for understanding linear systems and modeling physical phenomena. However, not every function has an eigenfunction and eigenvalue, only certain types of functions can have them.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
Prove that x*e^(-x^2/2) is eigenfunction for the operator x^2 - (d^2/dx^2) and find the corresponding eigenvalue.
Relevant Equations
I don't know what equations I need to use
I searched through the courses but I can't find any formula to help me prove that the expression is an eigenfunction. Am I missing something? What are the formulas needed for this problem statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to know: what is an eigenfunction?

Internet search?

Likes Andrei0408
PeroK said:
You want to know: what is an eigenfunction?

Internet search?
Yeah nevermind, it was very trivial, just had to multiply and derivate, for some reason I thought I needed something else

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, returns a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function is unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar value that represents the scaling factor of an eigenfunction when operated on by a linear operator. It is often denoted by the symbol λ (lambda).

3. How is an eigenfunction proof performed?

An eigenfunction proof involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions of a given linear operator. This is typically done by solving a system of equations, known as the eigenvalue problem, and verifying that the solutions satisfy the original equation.

4. Why are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues important?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are important in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in linear algebra and quantum mechanics. They allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of linear systems and operators, and they have applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and differential equations.

5. Can every function have an eigenfunction?

No, not every function has an eigenfunction. For a function to have an eigenfunction, it must satisfy certain conditions, such as being a continuous and differentiable function. Additionally, not all linear operators have eigenfunctions and eigenvalues.