Eigenfunctions (orthogonality & expansion)

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of eigenfunctions and their relation to the momentum operator in quantum mechanics. The first part focused on the possibility of multiple eigenfunctions and the need for them to be orthogonal. The second part delved into the connection between Fourier expansion and expansion in eigenfunctions of the momentum operator, with a mathematical explanation provided. The conversation also briefly touched on the use of Fourier expansion for other operators.
n0_3sc
1)
If you have a particle in 1D bound within range "-a" and "a". You come up with one eigenfunction that is sinusoidal (since it satisfies the problem).
Now, you get all the necessary constants through the usual way...
I want to know whether more than one eigenfunction can be produced and how? Because in the end I need to show that these eigenfunctions are orthogonal.

2)
If your given an eigenfunction say: psi = b(a - |x|)
what does it mean by "expanding psi in eigenstates of momentum".

Please note these are Intro questions to QM and I cannot read/understand DIRAC notation or any other type of that nature just yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
n0_3sc said:
1)
If you have a particle in 1D bound within range "-a" and "a". You come up with one eigenfunction that is sinusoidal (since it satisfies the problem).
Now, you get all the necessary constants through the usual way...
I want to know whether more than one eigenfunction can be produced and how? Because in the end I need to show that these eigenfunctions are orthogonal.

You actually come up with all. They are associated to the point spectrum and this is countable, which means that the wavefunctions can be indexed by the set of natural numbers. You need to prove that

[tex] \langle \psi_{n},\psi{m}\rangle =\delta_{nm} \ ,\forall n,m\in\mathbb{N} [/tex]

n0_3sc said:
2)
If your given an eigenfunction say: psi = b(a - |x|)
what does it mean by "expanding psi in eigenstates of momentum".

What are the "eigenstates of momentum" ? Have you studied Fourier series/integrals ?

1) Ok so if I come up with a wavefunction that is something like:
Asin(kx), then the associated eigenfunctions lie within 'k' for example?
Ie. k = 2n(pi)...
where n represents the first, second, third... eigenfunction?

2) As for "eigenstates of momentum" I cannot explain further what it is because the question is worded this way.
Yes I've studied Fourier Series/Integrals and the whole lot. Initially I drew out psi = b(a - |x|) and thought about doing a Fourier expansion on it, but I didn't understand why I would or what that would represent.

n0_3sc said:
1) Ok so if I come up with a wavefunction that is something like:
Asin(kx), then the associated eigenfunctions lie within 'k' for example?
Ie. k = 2n(pi)...
where n represents the first, second, third... eigenfunction?

That's right.

n0_3sc said:
2) As for "eigenstates of momentum" I cannot explain further what it is because the question is worded this way.
Yes I've studied Fourier Series/Integrals and the whole lot. Initially I drew out psi = b(a - |x|) and thought about doing a Fourier expansion on it, but I didn't understand why I would or what that would represent.

That would be the solution to your problem, since Fourier expansion and expansion in eigenfunctions of mometum operator are equivalent.

Would you be able to explain (or point me to a site/book) why the Fourier expansion and expansion in eigenfunctions of momentum operator are equivalent?
Does the Fourier expansion also apply to other operators? From what I know of Fourier its just a way of representing a periodic function.

Thanks for your help.

The connection i mensioned is rigorously this one:

The closed self adjoint extension of the momentum operator in [itex] \mathcal{S}\left(\mathbb{R}\right) [/itex] is, by means of the reverse of Stone's theorem, the generator of a uniparametric stongly continuous group of unitary operators representing, in the mathematical framework, the symmetry transformations called "spatial translations". The momentum operator is a selfadjoint operator acting in the rigged Hilbert space [itex] \Phi \subset \mathcal{H}\subset \Phi' [/itex] in which, by the Gelfand-Maurin spectral theorem admits a complete set of generalized eigenvectors, [itex] |p\rangle [/itex].

It's simple to show that the two known realizations of [itex] \Phi [/itex] as functions spaces, namely [itex] \mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R},dx) [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R},dp) [/itex] are connected by the Fourier transformation. It all comes to the simple (looking) assessment (written using bra/ket formalism)

[tex] \phi(x)=\langle x|\hat{1}|\phi\rangle =\left\langle x\left |\left(\int dp{}|p\rangle\langle p|\right)\right |\phi\right\rangle =\int dp \langle x|p\rangle\langle p|\phi\rangle \simeq \int dp {}e^{ipx}\tilde{\phi}(p) [/tex]

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
The connection i mensioned is rigorously this one:

The closed self adjoint extension of the momentum operator in [itex] \mathcal{S}\left(\mathbb{R}\right) [/itex] is, by means of the reverse of Stone's theorem, the generator of a uniparametric stongly continuous group of unitary operators representing, in the mathematical framework, the symmetry transformations called "spatial translations". The momentum operator is a selfadjoint operator acting in the rigged Hilbert space [itex] \Phi \subset \mathcal{H}\subset \Phi' [/itex] in which, by the Gelfand-Maurin spectral theorem admits a complete set of generalized eigenvectors, [itex] |p\rangle [/itex].

It's simple to show that the two known realizations of [itex] \Phi [/itex] as functions spaces, namely [itex] \mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R},dx) [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R},dp) [/itex] are connected by the Fourier transformation. It all comes to the simple (looking) assessment (written using bra/ket formalism)

[tex] \phi(x)=\langle x|\hat{1}|\phi\rangle =\left\langle x\left |\left(\int dp{}|p\rangle\langle p|\right)\right |\phi\right\rangle =\int dp \langle x|p\rangle\langle p|\phi\rangle \simeq \int dp {}e^{ipx}\tilde{\phi}(p) [/tex]

:smile: :smile: Question: was the point of this post to

a) help the OP?

or

b) to show off?

Related to Eigenfunctions (orthogonality & expansion)

What are eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are a type of function that are associated with a specific linear operator. They are functions that, when operated on by the linear operator, result in a scalar multiple of the original function.

What is orthogonality in relation to eigenfunctions?

Orthogonality refers to the property of eigenfunctions to be perpendicular to each other. This means that the inner product of two eigenfunctions is equal to zero, making them independent and unique.

How are eigenfunctions expanded?

Eigenfunctions can be expanded using the Gram-Schmidt process, which involves finding a set of orthogonal functions that span the same space as the original eigenfunctions. This process is useful in solving differential equations and other problems in physics and engineering.

What is the significance of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenfunctions play a crucial role in the description of physical systems. They represent the possible states that a system can have, and the eigenvalues associated with these functions give the possible outcomes of a measurement on the system.

What are some applications of eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in solving differential equations, signal processing, image recognition, and quantum mechanics, among others. They are also essential in the study of vibrations, waves, and other phenomena in various fields of science and technology.