Eigenvalues and diagonalization of a matrix

In summary: Therefore, the eigenvalues can be put in any order on the diagonal as long as the corresponding eigenvectors are in the same order in the matrix B.In summary, when diagonalizing a matrix, the diagonal elements will be the eigenvalues. The order of the eigenvalues on the diagonal does not matter as long as the corresponding eigenvectors are in the same order in the transformation matrix. This is because the matrix can be represented with respect to any ordered basis and the diagonal elements can be rearranged accordingly.
dyn
When you diagonalize a matrix the diagonal elements are the eigenvalues but how do you know which order to put the eigenvalues in the diagonal elements as different orders give different matrices ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The same order as the matrix with your eigenvectors. If I recall correctly, so long as those two have their columns corresponding with each other, it's fine; you'll transform your matrix to a diagonal one, then later on you'll transform back. If it's self-consistent, the properties you're looking for should be conserved.
(But I'm not an expert on this, so hopefully there will be more input!)

Likes DrClaude
ModestyKing needn't be so modest, he is correct :smile:

If an n by n matrix A has n independent eigenvectors, the there exist a matrix B such that D= B^{-1}AB is a diagonal matrix having the eigenvalues on the diagonal. B is the matrix having the corresponding eigenvectors as columns

What ModestyKing and DrClaude are saying is that the eigenvalues can be any order- as long as you have the eigenvectors, forming the columns of matrix B, in the same order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dyn
An ordered basis for an n-dimensional vector space V is an n-tuple ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)## such that ##\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}## is a basis for V

The component n-tuple of a vector ##x## with respect to an ordered basis ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)## is the unique n-tuple of scalars ##(x_1,\dots,x_n)## such that ##x=\sum_{i=1}^n x_i e_i##.

The matrix of components of a linear operator ##A## with respect to an ordered basis ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)## is the n×n matrix [A] defined by ##[A]_{ij}=(Ae_j)_i##. (The right-hand side denotes the ##i##th component of ##Ae_j## with respect to ##(e_1,\dots,e_n)##). This matrix is diagonal if and only if the ##e_i## are eigenvectors of the linear operator ##A##.

Every matrix is the matrix of components of some linear operator, with respect to some ordered basis. To change the order of the non-zero numbers in a diagonal matrix, is to change the order of the vectors in the ordered basis. You end up with a representation of the same linear operator, with respect to a different ordered basis.

Last edited:
Likes dyn

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent the scaling factor of an eigenvector when multiplied by a matrix. Eigenvectors are non-zero vectors that remain in the same direction after being multiplied by a matrix.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This will give you a polynomial equation, and the roots of this equation will be the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. What is diagonalization of a matrix?

Diagonalization of a matrix is the process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. This means that the two matrices have the same eigenvalues and the same eigenvectors. Diagonalization is useful for simplifying calculations and solving systems of linear equations.

4. How do you diagonalize a matrix?

To diagonalize a matrix, you need to find a diagonal matrix D and an invertible matrix P such that P-1AP = D. This process involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and using them to construct P and D. It is important to note that not all matrices can be diagonalized.

5. What are the applications of eigenvalues and diagonalization?

Eigenvalues and diagonalization have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze the stability of dynamic systems, and compress data in image and signal processing. They are also important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and in data analysis and machine learning.