Eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian

In summary: BerkmanIn summary, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of wave vector k in an electron gas with Hamiltonian:- are given by the Pauli matrices- are: Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}|\psi> +Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}\alpha i(\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \textbf{k})|\psi>- can be reduced to a matrix eigenvalue equation- has E_1 = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{
IanBerkman
Good day everyone,

The question is as following:

Consider an electron gas with Hamiltonian:
[tex] \mathcal{H} = -\frac{\hbar^2 \nabla^2}{2m} + \alpha (\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \nabla)[/tex]

where α parameterizes a model spin-orbit interaction. Compute the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of wave vector k and plot them in the x-direction. Interpret the results.

Relevant equations:

σ is given by the Pauli matrices:
[tex] \boldsymbol{\sigma} = (\sigma_x, \sigma_y, \sigma_z)[/tex]
[tex] \sigma_x = \left(\begin{matrix} 0&1\\1&0\end{matrix}\right),[/tex]
[tex] \sigma_y = \left(\begin{matrix} 0&-i\\i&0\end{matrix}\right),[/tex]
[tex] \sigma_z = \left(\begin{matrix} 1&0\\0&-1\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Attempt at the solution:

I started with calling the eigenvector as following:
[tex]|\Psi> = Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}|\psi> ,[/tex]
which need to fulfill the eigenvalue equation:
[tex]\mathcal{H}|\Psi> = E|\Psi>. [/tex]
This eigenvector gives the following:
[tex] \mathcal{H}|\Psi> = Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}|\psi> +Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}\alpha i(\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \textbf{k})|\psi> = E\cdot Ae^{i\textbf{k}\cdot \textbf{r}}|\psi>,[/tex]
where
[tex] \alpha i(\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \textbf{k}) = \left(\begin{matrix} \alpha i k_z & \alpha i k_x + \alpha k_y\\ \alpha i k_x - \alpha k_y & -\alpha i k_z \end{matrix}\right).[/tex]
This can then be reduced to a matrix eigenvalue equation:
[tex]\begin{align*}E|\psi> &= \left(\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} +\alpha i (\boldsymbol{\sigma} \cdot \textbf{k})\right)|\psi>\\ E|\psi> &= \left(\begin{matrix} \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} + \alpha i k_z & \alpha i k_x + \alpha k_y \\ \alpha i k_x - \alpha k_y & \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} - \alpha i k_z \end{matrix}\right)|\psi>\end{align*}[/tex]

However, this matrix gives the eigenvalues:
[tex] E_1 = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} + \alpha i k \\
E_2 = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} - \alpha i k [/tex]

Which look quite right, except that they contain imaginary parts which suggest some form of energy loss/damping which is not stated in the problem.

Did anybody see where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Ian Berkman

Physics news on Phys.org
The second term in your Hamiltonian doesn't appear to be hermitian? Other than that your steps seem fine.

Do you mean the αi(σ⋅k) term?
I have checked that term couple of times, but I cannot see where it went wrong.

I could try to solve it with the function
[tex] |\Psi> = A e^{\textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{r}}|\psi> [/tex]

Which gives a Hermitian operator, however, as far as I see, it also gives a negative h2k2/2m term in the energy eigenvalue. Furthermore, I cannot remember having ever seen such a function.

Last edited:
Nevermind the function in my comment above, it is not right.

Last edited:
The spin-orbit term isn't hermitian because of the ##\nabla##. Shouldn't it be written in terms of the momentum, which will supply a factor of ##i##?

Likes blue_leaf77
Well, you have the right eigenvalues, eigenvalues should be real in this case. Choosing ##\alpha## imaginary would do the trick. I suspect your problem has a typo.

IanBerkman said:
Do you mean the αi(σ⋅k) term?

Yes, interesting it appears with an ##i## here but not in your original problem statement.

The i appears in the second term because of the gradient of e^(ikr).
I am going to mail the professor if alpha could be an imaginary value, however, I would say that that would be stated in the problem if that is the case.

vela said:
The spin-orbit term isn't hermitian because of the ##\nabla##. Shouldn't it be written in terms of the momentum, which will supply a factor of ##i##?

The extra factor of ##i## should also appear when ##\alpha## could only take an imaginary value. Also, a momentum operator fits better in a spin-orbit Hamiltonian.

I think indeed this problem has a typo, I will keep you informed about the professor's reply.

The problem was indeed incorrectly stated. Well, sometimes these things happen.

Thank you all for helping.

Ian

1. What is a spin-orbit Hamiltonian?

A spin-orbit Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the interaction between a particle's spin and its motion in an external magnetic or electric field.

2. What are eigenvalues in the context of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian?

Eigenvalues are the possible values that the spin-orbit Hamiltonian can take when acting on a particular state or wavefunction. They represent the energy levels of the particle in the given system.

3. How do eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian affect the behavior of a particle?

The eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian determine the energy levels available to a particle and therefore affect its behavior, such as its spin orientation and its response to external fields.

4. How are eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian calculated?

Eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian can be calculated by solving the corresponding eigenvalue equation, which involves finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the operator. This can be done analytically or numerically using various mathematical techniques and computer simulations.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian in physics?

The eigenvalues of a spin-orbit Hamiltonian have significant implications in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and atomic and molecular physics. They provide important insights into the behavior of particles in complex systems and are crucial for understanding and predicting their properties and interactions.