Einstein relativity between 2 coordinates systems

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the speed using a given equation and finding V' = 1.2 m/s. However, there is confusion about the first solution, which should be -1.2 m/s. The question also asks for the x coordinate of a point and relevant equations are mentioned. It is mentioned that the Lorentz transformation has been used, but it is suggested that the inverse transformation is needed.
Atabold
Homework Statement
Two coordinate events (24 s, 12 m) and (35 s, 25 m) occur on the x' axis of the system S'. At what speed must S' translate in order for the two events occur at the same point for S?
What is the x coordinate of this point?
Relevant Equations
V' = ( x'f — x'i ) / ( t'f — t'i )
I calculated the speed using the information provided through the above equation and finding V' = 1.2 m/s.

However, the first solution must be -1,2 m/s. I don't know how to reach it, any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atabold said:
Homework Statement: Two coordinate events (24 s, 12 m) and (35 s, 25 m) occur on the x' axis of the system S'. At what speed must S' translate in order for the two events occur at the same point for S?
What is the x coordinate of this point?
Relevant Equations: V' = ( x'f — x'i ) / ( t'f — t'i )

I calculated the speed using the information provided through the above equation and finding V' = 1.2 m/s.

However, the first solution must be -1,2 m/s. I don't know how to reach it, any suggestion?
Are you doing the standard, conventional transformation or the inverse? Which should it be?

PeroK said:
Are you doing the standard, conventional transformation or the inverse? Which should it be?
I have done the Lorentz transformation

Atabold said:
I have done the Lorentz transformation
The usual convention for the LT is to transform from the unprimed frame to the primed frame. You need the inverse transformation here, as you have data in the primed frame.

Likes Atabold

1. What is Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is a set of two theories that describe the relationship between space and time. The first theory, special relativity, explains the behavior of objects moving at constant speeds, while the second theory, general relativity, explains the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity.

2. How does relativity apply to two coordinate systems?

Relativity applies to two coordinate systems by showing that measurements of space and time can differ between two observers in different reference frames. This is known as the relativity of simultaneity, where two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer in a different reference frame.

3. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

The main difference between special relativity and general relativity is that special relativity only applies to objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity applies to objects in the presence of gravity. Special relativity also does not take into account the curvature of space-time, which is a key aspect of general relativity.

4. How does relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of time and space by showing that they are not absolute, but are instead relative to the observer's reference frame. It also explains how gravity affects the curvature of space-time, and how this curvature can affect the motion of objects in the universe.

5. What are some practical applications of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Some practical applications of relativity include the development of GPS technology, which uses relativity to accurately measure time and location. Relativity has also been used to make precise predictions in astrophysics, such as the bending of light around massive objects like black holes.