Einstein Tensor - Particle at rest?

In summary, the conversation is about finding Christoffel symbols, Ricci tensors, and the zeroth component of the Einstein tensor. The first part involves using the lagrangian and Euler-Lagrangian equations to find the Christoffel symbols, which are found to be non-zero, specifically ## \Gamma_{11}^0 = \Gamma_{22}^0 = \Gamma_{33}^0 = \frac{a \dot a}{c} ##. The second part involves showing that a free particle that is initially at rest will remain at rest in this coordinate system, which can be done by showing that the spatial acceleration of the particle is 0. This can be shown by using the equations of motion and
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a)Find Christoffel symbols
(b) Show the particles are at rest, hence ##t= \tau##. Find the Ricci tensors
(c) Find zeroth component of Einstein Tensor

ricci3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)[/B]

Let lagrangian be:
[tex] -c^2 \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau}\right)^2 + a^2 \left[ \left(\frac{dx}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dy}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dz}{d\tau}\right)^2 \right] [/tex]

Euler-Lagrangian is given by:
[tex] \frac{d}{d\tau} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\frac{\partial x^{\gamma}}{\partial \tau})} \right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\gamma}} [/tex]

Applying Euler-Lagrangian to temporal part:
[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau} \left( -2c^2 \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right) = 2 a \dot a \left[ \left(\frac{dx}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dy}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dz}{d\tau}\right)^2 \right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2 (ct)}{d\tau^2} + \frac{a \dot a}{c} \left[ \left(\frac{dx}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dy}{d\tau}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dz}{d\tau}\right)^2 \right] = 0 [/tex]

This implies that ## \Gamma_{11}^0 = \Gamma_{22}^0 = \Gamma_{33}^0 = \frac{a \dot a}{c} ##.

Applying Euler-Lagrangian to spatial part:
[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau} \left( 2a^2 \frac{dx^{\gamma}}{d\tau} \right) = 0 [/tex]
[tex]2 a \dot a \frac{dt}{d\tau} \frac{dx^{\gamma}}{d\tau} + a^2 \frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} + \frac{2 \dot a}{a c} \frac{dx^{\gamma}}{d\tau} \frac{d (ct) }{d\tau} = 0 [/tex]

This implies that ## \Gamma_{10}^1 = \Gamma_{20}^2 = \Gamma_{30}^3 = \frac{2 \dot a}{ac}##. Am I missing a factor of ##\frac{1}{2}## somewhere or is the question wrong?

Part (b)

I can't see why the particle is at rest in this frame. From the transport equation, the change in vector ##V^{\mu}## when transported through length ##\delta x^{\beta}## is:

[tex] \delta V^{\mu} = -\Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} V^{\alpha} \delta x^{\beta}[/tex]

Letting ##\delta x^{\beta}## represent the time component and ##\alpha## represent the spatial component:

[tex] \frac{\delta V^{\mu}}{\delta x^{\beta}} = - \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} V^{\alpha} [/tex]

The LHS represents 'velocity' while the right hand side represents ##\int \hat r dt##. The Christoffel symbols are clearly non-zero: ## \Gamma_{10}^1 = \Gamma_{20}^2 = \Gamma_{30}^3 = \frac{2 \dot a}{ac}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} + \frac{2 \dot a}{a c} \frac{dx^{\gamma}}{d\tau} \frac{d (ct) }{d\tau} = 0 [/tex]

This implies that ## \Gamma_{10}^1 = \Gamma_{20}^2 = \Gamma_{30}^3 = \frac{2 \dot a}{ac}##. Am I missing a factor of ##\frac{1}{2}## somewhere or is the question wrong?

Hint: Note that both ## \Gamma_{10}^1## and ## \Gamma_{01}^1## occur in the equations of motion ##\frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^1 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = 0## .
Part (b)

I can't see why the particle is at rest in this frame.

You need to show that a free particle that is initially at rest will remain at rest in this coordinate system. So, you need to show that when a particle is released at rest it's spatial acceleration ##\frac{d^2x^k}{dt^2} = 0##. See if you can show this from the equations of motion ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = 0## and the known values of the Christoffel symbols.

TSny said:
Hint: Note that both ## \Gamma_{10}^1## and ## \Gamma_{01}^1## occur in the equations of motion ##\frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^1 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = 0## .You need to show that a free particle that is initially at rest will remain at rest in this coordinate system. So, you need to show that it's spatial acceleration ##\frac{d^2x^k}{dt^2} = 0##. See if you can show this from the equations of motion ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = 0## and the known values of the Christoffel symbols.
Ah I see, so ## \frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^1 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = \frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{01}^1 \frac{dx^0}{d\tau} \frac{dx^1}{d\tau} + \Gamma_{10}^1 \frac{dx^1}{d\tau} \frac{dx^0}{d\tau}##

I have to show that the 'acceleration' is 0 by summing the RHS up and show it equals 0. Do I only sum over the spatial parts?

[tex]\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} [/tex]

Spatial parts and temporal parts are:
[tex] \left( 3 \times a^2 \frac{\dot a}{ac} \right) - \left( 3 \times \frac{a \dot a}{c} \right) = 0 [/tex]

Why do I need to multiply the metric components in order to make this right?

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Ah I see, so ## \frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^1 \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} = \frac{d^2 x^1}{d\tau^2} + \Gamma_{01}^1 \frac{dx^0}{d\tau} \frac{dx^1}{d\tau} + \Gamma_{10}^1 \frac{dx^1}{d\tau} \frac{dx^0}{d\tau}##

I have to show that the 'acceleration' is 0 by summing the RHS up and show it equals 0. Do I only sum over the spatial parts?

[tex]\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} [/tex]

Spatial parts and temporal parts are:
[tex] \left( 3 \times a^2 \frac{\dot a}{ac} \right) - \left( 3 \times \frac{a \dot a}{c} \right) = 0 [/tex]

Why do I need to multiply the metric components in order to make this right?

I didn't really follow your last equation here.

If the particle starts at rest at time t = 0, then the particle will remain at rest if you can show that all derivatives ##\frac{d^nx^k}{dt^n} = 0## at ##t = 0##. Here ##k =## 1, 2, or 3.

You can use your equation ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} ## to first find an expression for ##\frac{d^2 x^k}{d \tau^2} ##. Then see if you can argue that ##\frac{d^2 x^k}{dt^2} = 0 ## at the instant the particle is released. Then try to show ##\frac{d^3x^k}{dt^3} = 0 ##, etc.

To relate derivatives with respect to ##\tau## to derivatives with respect to ##t##, it will be helpful to write out ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} ## for ##\gamma = 0## and keep in mind that we are considering the instant when the particle is released from rest.

I'm not claiming that the above procedure is the quickest way to the result. It's just a way that I think will get you there.

TSny said:
I didn't really follow your last equation here.

If the particle starts at rest at time t = 0, then the particle will remain at rest if you can show that all derivatives ##\frac{d^nx^k}{dt^n} = 0## at ##t = 0##. Here ##k =## 1, 2, or 3.

You can use your equation ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} ## to first find an expression for ##\frac{d^2 x^k}{d \tau^2} ##. Then see if you can argue that ##\frac{d^2 x^k}{dt^2} = 0 ## at the instant the particle is released. Then try to show ##\frac{d^3x^k}{dt^3} = 0 ##, etc.

To relate derivatives with respect to ##\tau## to derivatives with respect to ##t##, it will be helpful to write out ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2} = - \Gamma_{\mu \nu}^\gamma \frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} ## for ##\gamma = 0## and keep in mind that we are considering the instant when the particle is released from rest.

I'm not claiming that the above procedure is the quickest way to the result. It's just a way that I think will get you there.
Analyzing the x-component:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{d\tau^2} = - \frac{\dot a}{ac} \frac{dx}{d\tau} \frac{dt}{d\tau} = - \frac{\dot a}{ac} \dot x \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right)^2[/tex]

The only way this is zero is if either ##\frac{dx}{d\tau} = \dot x \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 0## or ## \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 0##.

unscientific said:
Analyzing the x-component:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{d\tau^2} = - \frac{\dot a}{ac} \frac{dx}{d\tau} \frac{dt}{d\tau} = - \frac{\dot a}{ac} \dot x \left( \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right)^2[/tex]

I believe there is a missing factor of 2. Your equation for ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2}## in post #1 was correct. (But your conclusion that the ##\Gamma_{10}^1##, etc., should have a factor of 2 was incorrect.)

The only way this is zero is if either ##\frac{dx}{d\tau} = \dot x \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 0## or ## \frac{dt}{d\tau} = 0##.

We are considering the instant of time when the particle is released at rest in this coordinate system. So, you know the value of ##\dot x## at this instant.

TSny said:
I believe there is a missing factor of 2. Your equation for ##\frac{d^2 x^{\gamma}}{d\tau^2}## in post #1 was correct. (But your conclusion that the ##\Gamma_{10}^1##, etc., should have a factor of 2 was incorrect.)
We are considering the instant of time when the particle is released at rest in this coordinate system. So, you know the value of ##\dot x## at this instant.
So we say that if ##\dot x = 0##, then ##\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = 0##. Then to show for higher powers, simply differentiate the RHS which leads to more powers of ##\dot (x)^n## which are all zero.

Yes. So, if ##\dot{x} = 0## at ##t = 0##, then you get ##\frac{d^2x}{d\tau^2} = 0## at ##t = 0##. You then want to check that this implies ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = 0## at ##t = 0##.

1. What is an Einstein Tensor?

An Einstein Tensor, also known as the Einstein Curvature Tensor, is a mathematical object in Einstein's theory of general relativity that describes the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How is the Einstein Tensor calculated?

The Einstein Tensor is calculated by taking the second derivative of the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime, and combining it with the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein Tensor?

The Einstein Tensor is significant because it is a key component in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe. It allows us to mathematically describe the curvature of spacetime and how it is affected by matter and energy.

4. What does the Einstein Tensor tell us about a particle at rest?

The Einstein Tensor, when calculated for a particle at rest, will show that the curvature of spacetime is zero in the immediate vicinity of the particle. This means that the particle is not affected by the gravitational forces of other objects, as it is not experiencing any curvature in its local spacetime.

5. Can the Einstein Tensor be used to predict the behavior of particles at rest?

No, the Einstein Tensor alone cannot be used to predict the behavior of particles at rest. It is just one component of the equations of general relativity, and it must be combined with other factors, such as the energy-momentum tensor, in order to make predictions about the behavior of particles in spacetime.