Einstein's light clock thought experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it relates to Einstein's light clock experiment. The conclusion is that the twin paradox arises due to a failure to correctly apply the relativity of simultaneity. The conversation also touches on the idea of someone traveling at near the speed of light and the resulting difference in time experienced on Earth and during the journey. Further reading on the twin paradox is recommended.
David CLayton
I'm an engineer who has an amateur interest in physics. I have been reading about Einsteins light clock experiment. I understand the principal that when a light clock on a train etc is moving relative to a standing still observer then the light must travel a longer distance per tick. given that that the speed of light is the same for all observers, this means that time will pass at a slower rate for the person on the train.
My question is this, would the light clock with the stationary observer on the platform appear to be moving to be moving relative to the person on the train giving the same effect as the light would appear to be traveling in a triangular motion. My basic understanding was that we could not determine who was at absolute motion.
Apologies if this is a basic error I am making but I cannot get my head around this.

Physics news on Phys.org
David CLayton said:
would the light clock with the stationary observer on the platform appear to be moving to be moving relative to the person on the train giving the same effect

Yes. The light clock on the train appears to run slow to the observer on the platform, and the light clock on the platform appears to run slow to the observer on the train.

David CLayton said:
My basic understanding was that we could not determine who was at absolute motion.

That's correct.

Likes David CLayton
If Peter's reply seems like it leads to contradiction, google "relativity of simultaneity".

Likes David CLayton
Why is it that someone traveling at speed away from the Earth on a ship would age slower than the people left behind on the planet when to the person traveling on the ship would observe the clocks on Earth traveling at a slower rate too.
I have been told that if someone could travel near the speed of light away from the Earth for 5 years or so and then turns around and returns, hundreds of years would have passed on the earth. If is true that the person traveling at speed would observe the Earth's clock to be running slowly then I cannot understand why a greater time would of passed.

David CLayton said:
Why is it that someone traveling at speed away from the Earth on a ship would age slower than the people left behind on the planet when to the person traveling on the ship would observe the clocks on Earth traveling at a slower rate too.
I have been told that if someone could travel near the speed of light away from the Earth for 5 years or so and then turns around and returns, hundreds of years would have passed on the earth. If is true that the person traveling at speed would observe the Earth's clock to be running slowly then I cannot understand why a greater time would of passed.
That is the "Twin Paradox", well explained by http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

It actually has very little to do with the time dilation that is demonstrated by Einstein's light clock.

Likes David CLayton
David CLayton said:
See post #3 and my signature...

David CLayton said:
They don't. They both agree that the other's clocks are ticking slowly.
David CLayton said:
I have been told that if someone could travel near the speed of light away from the Earth for 5 years or so and then turns around and returns,
Turning round and returning is different. As Nugatory says - look for the twin paradox, which is the scenario you are describing. It can't be resolved just by thinking about time dilation, because that's not really the relevant factor.

Likes David CLayton
Nugatory said:
That is the "Twin Paradox", well explained by http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

It actually has very little to do with the time dilation that is demonstrated by Einstein's light clock.
I would say that the paradox itself has everything go do with the time dilation as it arises as an apparent paradox due to failing to apply it correctly (ie, taking relativity of simultaneity into account).

Likes David CLayton
thank you all for your comments. the twin paradox is something i need to read on however a basic look has proved very helpful.

Orodruin said:
I would say that the paradox itself has everything go do with the time dilation because...
Ah... Yes, I'll buy that :)

1. What is Einstein's light clock thought experiment?

Einstein's light clock thought experiment is a theoretical experiment that was developed by Albert Einstein to illustrate the principles of special relativity. It involves two mirrors facing each other with a light source in the middle, and the clock measures the time it takes for the light to bounce back and forth between the mirrors.

2. How does the light clock thought experiment demonstrate the principles of special relativity?

The experiment shows that the speed of light remains constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same. This is one of the fundamental principles of special relativity.

3. What is the significance of the light clock thought experiment in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity?

The thought experiment played a crucial role in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity. It helped him to understand and explain the concept of time dilation, which states that time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds. This led to the groundbreaking theory of special relativity.

4. Is the light clock thought experiment a real physical experiment or just a theoretical concept?

The light clock thought experiment is a theoretical concept and does not exist in the physical world. It is used to illustrate and explain complex ideas about space, time, and the speed of light in a simplified manner.

5. What are some real-world examples that support the principles demonstrated in the light clock thought experiment?

There are several real-world examples that support the principles of special relativity, including the time dilation of GPS satellites, the observation of muons in Earth's atmosphere, and the behavior of particles in particle accelerators. These all demonstrate how the laws of physics remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.