Einstein's Universe (1979) - Nigel Calder, Peter Ustinov

In summary, the conversation discusses a video about relativity that has recently become available on YouTube. The video greatly influenced the speaker to study relativity, and they also mention a book by Nigel Calder that accompanied the video. The video features appearances by various prominent scientists and is highly recommended by the speaker. They also mention that they have previously watched the program on TV and enjoyed it, particularly Peter Ustinov's dry humor. They also mention having read the accompanying book in high school and loving it.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In contributing to the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/i-need-recommendations-to-read-about-physics.996304/ ,
I see that the video that greatly influenced me to study relativity
is now available online on YouTube (made available by the film distributor).

In 7th-grade, after watching that video and (by chance) getting a copy of the accompanying book
by Nigel Calder ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/0517385708/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ), I was hooked.

Enjoy...
Here is Einstein's Universe (1979)... staring Peter Ustinov, Nigel Calder,
with appearances by Sidney Drell, Roger Penrose, Dennis Sciama, Irwin Shapiro, John Archibald Wheeler, and others
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6061610/

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz, BvU and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
@robphy, thanks for posting this. I remember watching this program on TV when it first came out. I thought it was great. Ustinov's dry humor adds to the enjoyment :oldsmile: .

Likes robphy
I didn't know that this was a movie. I've also read the book when I was in high school (the German translation), and I loved it too.

1. What is "Einstein's Universe" about?

"Einstein's Universe" is a documentary film released in 1979 that explores the life and work of renowned physicist Albert Einstein. It delves into his theories of relativity, his impact on the scientific community, and his personal life.

2. Who are the main figures featured in the film?

The film features interviews and commentary from notable figures such as physicist Stephen Hawking, actor Peter Ustinov, and Nobel Prize-winning physicist Murray Gell-Mann. The film also includes archival footage of Albert Einstein himself.

3. Is the film scientifically accurate?

Yes, the film is based on factual information and interviews with experts in the field of physics. However, it does simplify some of Einstein's complex theories for a general audience.

4. What makes this film stand out from other documentaries about Einstein?

"Einstein's Universe" was one of the first documentaries to explore Einstein's life and work in depth. It also features commentary from a variety of experts and incorporates archival footage, giving viewers a more comprehensive understanding of Einstein's impact on science and society.

5. Is this film suitable for all audiences?

While the film does simplify some of Einstein's theories, it may still be challenging for younger viewers or those without a background in physics. However, it can be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in learning more about one of the most influential scientists in history.