Elaborate reference on Wave motion

In summary, the conversation is about studying wave motion with a focus on mechanical waves on a string, reflection of mechanical waves, standing waves, and resonance. The person is looking for a book or resource that covers these concepts in detail, specifically mentioning the importance of understanding phase shifts during wave reflection through the law of momentum conservation. Several book recommendations are given, including "French, Vibrations and Waves," "Georgi, The Physics of Waves," "King, Vibrations and Waves," and "Pain, The Physics of Vibrations and Waves."
Nikhil R
Dear experts,
I need to study wave motion in detail. Mainly mechanical waves on a string, reflection of mechanical waves, standing waves, resonance etc. I am looking for a book which covers these basic concepts in minute detail.
For example , I believe that the phase shifts during wave reflection can be explained with a very fundamental law of momentum conservation.

Kindly help me to find some material or textbook or any other similar resource which would give me the right information.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
French, Vibrations and Waves (this is a must have)
Georgi, The Physics of Waves (free online, look it up)
King, Vibrations and Waves (easy, nice and clear)
Pain, The Physics of Vibrations and Waves (a bit convoluted, but lots of applications)

Thank You

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion is the propagation of disturbances or variations in a physical medium. This can include mechanical waves, such as sound waves and water waves, as well as electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves.

2. How does wave motion occur?

Wave motion occurs when energy is transferred through a medium, causing particles in the medium to oscillate. This oscillation creates a disturbance that propagates through the medium, carrying the energy with it.

3. What are the characteristics of a wave?

Waves have several key characteristics, including amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and velocity. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a particle in the medium from its equilibrium position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points of the wave that are in phase. Frequency is the number of complete oscillations that occur in one second, and velocity is the speed at which the wave propagates through the medium.

4. What are the different types of waves?

There are several types of waves, including transverse waves, longitudinal waves, and surface waves. Transverse waves are characterized by particles in the medium oscillating perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while longitudinal waves have particles oscillating parallel to the direction of propagation. Surface waves occur at the interface between two media and have both transverse and longitudinal components.

5. How are waves measured and described?

Waves are measured and described using various properties, such as amplitude, wavelength, and frequency, as well as their speed and direction of propagation. They can also be described in terms of their energy and the medium through which they are traveling. In addition, mathematical equations, such as the wave equation, can be used to model and predict the behavior of waves.